Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is that?

What is that?

Not knowing how big it is, I amnot sure. Many stone artifacts were for shaping wood - and that might be what the groove on this piece is for?

Comment

Being quite possibly BC...more than likely a tool for shaping wood.Wonder though if could be for building or a building piece itself...

Comment

Could possibly be a shaft straightener?

Comment

The use of heat for manipulating the shape of wood is a fundamental Stone Age woodworking technique. Heat is and was used initially to straighten spear and arrow shafts and also for periodic maintenance of straightness.

Comment

Some shaft straightener or abraiding stone?

Comment

I have found two in my life, made in glacier slate and its a broken shuttle bannerstone. Yours is made of granite and looks to me as if had been in water which causes the black on the surface. All of my finds were in ky.  Yours is one of a kind yours in the granite and not slate better material. Great piece!

Comment

It really depends on size..Too me? looks to be a foot long.If its only inches?...Could make difference on identification...although it could be a large shaft straightener..could be a small one...Interesting.

Comment

I have found one almost the same. Here in Washington we would call that a shaft straitner. Like others have already said. The stone may have had a second one that was the other grove and the wood shaft held in the center and ran in and out would round it off the size they wanted. Mine were about four inches long and most likely for arrowshafts.

Comment

Hey Chi Yuan...we are ready for the size..Tell us the size...It kinda also looks river stained or water stained..I would think a shaft straightner would be smooth in the groove,but time might have roughed it up a bit..If it is large?..maybe it brought water to the temple? ..waterfall?...

Comment

Thankyou Chi Yuan....This is most for sure a shaft straightner..Quite possibly a bannerstone....Yea!

Comment

You have good artifact friend...Thankyou for sharing......More?

Comment

Working...
                        X