Double Notched Tupelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Notched Tupelo

Anyone know an approximate value on this. My Dad found these when he was a kid in Duvall County, TX in the 1950's. The Tupelo is 10 1/4". He used to go scour the arroyos after rains. Also, what if any, steps should I take to make sure I am legaly in possession of these.
    Thanks,
    Scott

If that big piece is ancient, it is worth quite a bit.
    You ARE in legal possession of them now. Just keep the provenance with the group and no one should ever question where and when they were found. If they were legally found in the 1950s, they are legal now if passed down to you.

Comment

Did your Dad find the double notch?  The few authentic Tupelo blades I have seen are in the six inch range. Most are confused owners of Snake Creeks the local dual notch style in West Tennessee.

Comment

Hay guys' I have a point that I have always called a Spear head? It has the same type of tie end that you have on this one. Would you call it a Tupedo? You can view it on my photo album MVC003S on the top. It was found with several knife blades and we have never seen another like it. Any info on this would sure be nice.  Thanks Ron

Comment

I have owned a real double notched tupelo as well as five other large Bentons. I've also had the honor of handling several others, all which were real examples. To be honest,this Benton doesn't look like any of them. Of course the picture is dark. The only authentic long examples I have ever seen all come from one area in Mississippi. The notches are always soft, never hard and pointed like in the one pictured. Just my two cents.....

Comment

"Tupelo" aren't found remotely close to TX.  They are actually related to the Benton type (although you will see t-tail claims to the contrary) and are from much further eastward. Even for Tupelo (as SRcooper pointed out) that piece does not look made correctly.  In fact, it doesn't look made correctly for any prehistoric aboriginal type that I can think of off the top of my head.
                It looks more reminiscent of a Brian Rheinhardt piece, A.K.A. "Gray Ghost".  If it is, and can be traced back to him, then it still does hold some considerable value.

Comment

Im afraid I concur with Neanderthal and Cooper on the long blade. It looks like a replica. If not its VERY valuable. You need to have it authenticated by at least two experts. The others look OK.

Comment

Working...
              X