ID:	179988 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2263.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	179989 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2258.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	179990 Finally got some rain so I hunted a great site before dark yesterday. Found a few brokes and manos but one very interesting piece. She will not win any beauty contest but has such a story to tell.
    The site is where I have found 3 daltons but also some pottery and bird points so its multi component. NW Tn off a large creek.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2254.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	179917 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2258.JPG
Views:	154
ID:	179913 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2263.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	179914 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2267.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	179915 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2265.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	179916

My ideas...
    I'm pretty sure its hornstone so it traveled at least 80 miles to get to the site. Its darker like Indiana hornstone so it may have traveled even further. This is amazing to me.
    Both ends are shaped with an adz like bevel
    There are definite patina differences (see last pic) The rock itself looks just like a spall you would buy at a knapp-in. So I'm assuming it was spalled to trade. The flaking on each end does NOT have the patina.
    Was it traded during the dalton culture, lay around for a few thousand years, then some woodland guy started knocking on it?
    Were the flakes taken to make tools or was this shaped to be a big adz to chop? or both?

Thanks for any suggestions/corrections!

Attached Files
    Last edited by Hoss; 10-28-2015, 02:49 PM.

Hey Dylan, I think someone hit it repeatedly with something a long time ago. Sorry Buddy, I got nothing.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

It might be possible that a recent 'modern' human -like someone out hunting artifacts or just out for a walk- found a big chunk of material that looked too good to not try and knap, whacked on it for a few minutes while eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, then chucked it and continued to look for stuff. Is there any matching debitage in the area? Sad to say, when I first learned of 'arrowheads' and flintknapping, I found what I now know was a beautiful quartzite cylindrical core... I thought 'here's something I can try to knap into an arrowhead!' and proceeded to destroy a spectacular artifact. Ugh.

Comment

No, this site 1 mile from nearest road on private property. There are flakes everywhere. Ill take a pictures of the daltons that came off this spot last year at lunch. I'm sure it was knocked on in ancient times. The source of material, shape, and differences in patina are just odd to me. I'm probably looking to much into it. Just great material on a great spot.

Comment

Looks like a big core to me. Also Looks like it still has a couple nice platforms. That piece has probably yielded several nice tools. Awesome color too! Nice find!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

What you are calling Patina is the actual cortex of the nodule. Very nice spall in my opinion and it was certainly being used to take smaller pieces from for tools.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1 copy.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	179993 what does the ubder side of this end look like?
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I am assuming it is this end on the left? Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	72
ID:	179995

Comment

That's supper cooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!! I love it !! Lucky dog
                  As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

Yes Hoss, you have the orientation correct. I'm not talking about the cortex but the actual flake scars have no patina compared to where the unflaked chert surface is. Hard to photograph, very apparent in person. In the above photograph I put the red arrow on the patina change and the blue arrow on what I call cortex just to make sure we are on the same page.

Comment

Could have been an exposed piece that had been laying that way for thousands of years then somebody picked it up, spalled off the one end and turned into an expedient chopper.
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Soooooooooooo , u r saying those flake scars modern ? ???? Fill me in please ,,, thank u

Everett Williams ,
                        NW Arkansas

Comment

This is why this piece intrigued me. The site is had a Dalton culture utilization but I also find small side notches and bird points (all points below came within 200 sq ft of where I found this core) I think it was originally spalled out during Dalton/Archaic times then got whacked on again say Woodland/Missippian. This would account for patina differences on the chert itself. I am confident that no one is walking this site knocking hornstone they find laying on the ground right now. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2268.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	180042
                          Last edited by OBION; 10-28-2015, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OBION View Post
                            This is why this piece intrigued me. The site is had a Dalton culture utilization but I also find small side notches and bird points (all points below came within 200 sq ft of where I found this core) I think it was originally spalled out during Dalton/Archaic times then got whacked on again say Woodland/Missippian. This would account for patina differences on the chert itself. I am confident that no one is walking this site knocking hornstone they find laying on the ground right now.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n180042[/ATTACH]
                            Oooooooooooooh ok ... From what I see and what you r telling us that makes very good sense .... And I would agree .... Very nice piece for sure !! Are these surface finds ?? Looks like a place to dig 😎😎😎😎😎

Everett Williams ,
                            NW Arkansas

Comment

• OBION
                              OBION commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I don't know if it makes sense or not, just deep thoughts as I look at this thing watching football! All surface finds I've posted on this thread. I did dig there once and found a cool little drill. Come to think about it, its dark looking hornstone. Coincidental for sure but ill find it and post a pic.

From what I see, I agree with the comments made by KFG. Looks kinda like a core to me taken from a large river cobble, the source or which if you are in NW Tenn., is probably a few miles away and more than likely to the east of you. The core may (or may not) be from streams that drain the Highland Rim into the Tennessee River. The Highland Rim geologic zone produces a number of cherts that the old guys utilized to make their tools. Just my guess. And my guesses often are wrong, but it is fun to speculate.

Comment

Working...
                            X