Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished gouge

Here's an unfinished gouge I'm guessing...mjm

I'm not sure what it is that I am seeing here. The lighting is such that it is difficult to see what appears to be a worked down edge. It would be helpful if something like a coin was placed alongside to get a sense of its size. I can't tell whether it is a foot long or a few inches.

Comment

Sorry about the lousy pics...it's about six inches long....mjm

Comment

Once I cover the extra rock the usual gouge adze shape is more apparent...mjm

Comment

That one is kind of a puzzle. It appears to have a section that is worked and abraded smooth, but the 'extra" rock is odd. I always assumed that they chose a natural stone that already pretty much had a rectangular shape to start with.

Comment

I would agree clambellies...This was found at a site that has yielded hundreds of artifacts and probably thirty or more wood working tools....here's another example of something that comes from this site.....

Comment

I hope someone gets to the bottom of this, I'm curious myself. Where's CMD when you need 'em?

Comment

Well all I can say I'm sure it was going to be a wood working tool and I'm guessing a gouge by the hollowing going on ...mjm

Comment

To me it looks like it was broke during usage ,,,, lMO when it was made It was not styled after the "classic " wood working tool ....
                  As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

I've found a lot of adzes and a lot of gouges.I can see the usual shape but I've never seen much of a variance. I cannot see where the extra material would have been useful either broken or in its entirety.I have never seen a tool made with any material hanging off the side.Which leads me to believe it was unfinished...mjm

Comment

Working...
                    X