Raymond L. Weatherly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raymond L. Weatherly

Hi guys. ORARI here. I am writing to ask you whether Raymond L. Weatherly is still alive. Raymond lived in Lebanon, Tennessee, back in the early 1980s. He was one of the original cofounders of the Volunteer State Archaeological Society (VSAS) back around 1968. I have a telephone number here that he once gave me because he wanted me to get in touch with him. I called that number a couple of days ago, and it had been disconnected. Is Raymond still alive, or did he die a long time ago? Is his wife still alive? I am asking because he wanted me to take a look at a couple of artifacts in his collection---but I never got around to it. I was cleaning out some files here in my home office and ran into an old letter asking me to do that way back in 1982. If Raymond and his wife are dead, does anyone know what happened to his collection after he died?

The artifacts he wanted me to look at are a shell-tempered, baked clay smoking pipe bowl with a truncated stem that was made to look like those 17th or 18th century kaolinite clay smoking pipes that were used in England and the British colonies in the New World. The other item is a glass bottle with a pontil stem remnant on the bottom, indicating it was made by a glassblower in the 17th to early 19th century. The pipe bowl contained the remnants of the last smoking event, and the bottle contained a crystallized chemical substance of some sort---probably medicine. Both were found in 1960 by a man by the name of Dallas Doyle Hammond who lived in Somerset, Kentucky. Mr. Hammond, who died last year, found these two items while digging in a cave in eastern Kentucky, and he sold them to Raymond a long time ago. Do you by any chance know who owns these two artifacts now, that is if Raymond and his wife are indeed dead and his collection was sold after their deaths? Can any of you guys help me out with this?

I have been in touch with one VSAS officer who told me that he did not know Raymond or anything about him. I have messages out to the other officers of the society as well. Thanks!!!

Sorry, I have no knowledge of him. Have you tried Bob Reeves? He is a long time collector from east TN and the current VSAS editor.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hi Hoss. Yes, I just got an email message from Bob but have not opened it yet. I better go do that. Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
      X