Powars 11 site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powars 11 site

Almost two years ago I got to beg myself to a site in Wyoming. Called the powars 2 site. The name is for the person that found it. He also did work on the Lindenmeier Site. ​It is as the crow flys three miles away from the Hell Gap site. I got the privilege of riding up to the site with Dr. Frizion and back. This was a red Ocher mining site. Paleo from Clovis through Hell Gap. It was recovery only which means there was no context. but the finds are awesome. I kind have taken a theory on about the atlatal dart tip. and how it could have been used as utility tool to dig out the red ocher. It was fun to experience this, and I have been told it is published. So I want to share some pic's I took. If you have questions please ask! Click image for larger version

Name:	763.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	216126
    Click image for larger version

Name:	760.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	216127

Name:	761.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	216128

Name:	779.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	216129

Name:	774.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	216130

Name:	784.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	216131
    Last edited by chase; 07-06-2016, 10:28 AM.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

That must have been quite the impressive experience. Why recovery only ? Was the site already documented etc. ? The picture & frames are outstanding, more info.on them would be much appreciated !

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Chase. Are there any papers that have been published on the site?
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Soulful 1 View Post
        That must have been quite the impressive experience. Why recovery only ? Was the site already documented etc. ? The picture & frames are outstanding, more info.on them would be much appreciated !
        Because it was deemed to not have context for dating. it became a recovery. On the way up there Dr. Frizion said that The most he could hope for was to recover the artifacts. He and Dr. Stanford had walked the site before not sure when. I was amazed on the hill side it was at.

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
          Thanks for sharing this Chase. Are there any papers that have been published on the site?
          Greg, I would have not have made the post if it was not published. I am sure there is more that is being done there. Funny side note those poor people that did the work on the site had to take a bath and shower and then some. I was told that the men/women would be sweating red for years after working the mines.

Comment

Thanks for the post Chase. I am still not understanding the recovery only aspect
            Is it because of construction?
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
              Thanks for the post Chase. I am still not understanding the recovery only aspect
              Is it because of construction?
              No it is more that In-Situ was not present, Every thing was just mixed up to where no date could be recorded. So it was more salvage. Collect the artifacts and understand the dates of recovery from form.

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
                Greg I want to say I am sorry I got a little bit off the cuff. what I meant was that when I have respect for those that know I would never steal there accolades.

Comment

Cool post Chase! Thanks for sharing it with us, looks like a very interesting site indeed! How common is finding sourcable ochre in your area, I know a guy in R.I looking for some lol!
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Chase, Thanks for sharing your experience. If I understand correctly, the artifacts in the frames were collected as a salvage by professional archaeologists. That is an impressive display. Do you know where they are located or who has possession of them now?

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
                      Chase, Thanks for sharing your experience. If I understand correctly, the artifacts in the frames were collected as a salvage by professional archaeologists. That is an impressive display. Do you know where they are located or who has possession of them now?
                      University of Wyoming, I got to handle a few of the artifacts when the casts where being made. Yeah on the way up we discussed the why. when I got there I could see why. the sough off the hill side was enough to mix the artifacts. So no context was could be recorded..

Comment

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post
                        Cool post Chase! Thanks for sharing it with us, looks like a very interesting site indeed! How common is finding sourcable ochre in your area, I know a guy in R.I looking for some lol!
                        KY i dont know enough to say where to find it. I know it is out here but I am just an artifact hunter. I talked to Dr. Frision and he thought it was cerimonial and I think medisnal

Comment

An archaeologically paleo rich place to live Chase - has everyone found a Clovis but me!?
                          Here's a short vid. of a similar Wyoming paleo mining site: the Sunrise Iron Mine. George Frison is involved here as well.

[YT]EFTOxy3xix0[/YT]
                          If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
                            An archaeologically paleo rich place to live Chase - has everyone found a Clovis but me!?
                            Here's a short vid. of a similar Wyoming paleo mining site: the Sunrise Iron Mine. George Frison is involved here as well.

[YT]EFTOxy3xix0[/YT]
                            Thank you Olden. I made a mistake a few years back. I had been following Dr. Frizion since the seventies. I felt I knew him and when I got first introduced I shook his hand and said nice to meet you GEORGE I got a look of what the F.... but a smile drew across his face. I Made a major mistake for not addressing him proper. But the drive there and back had little to do with artifacts and more of his days ranching and hunting game. He is a Man of I will say am glad I got to meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post

[YT]EFTOxy3xix0[/YT]
                              Oh BTW I dont have Clovis Just Folsom

Comment

Working...
                              X