Powars 11 site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olden View Post
    Here's a short vid. of a similar Wyoming paleo mining site: the Sunrise Iron Mine. George Frison is involved here as well.
    Olden, the Sunrise Iron Mine and the Powars II site are one and the same location.

http://www.pcrecordtimes.com/v2_news...&story_id=3773

Comment

Originally posted by 11KBP View Post

Olden, the Sunrise Iron Mine and the Powars II site are one and the same location.

Thank you 11KBP you are right Getting older, but it was good to see you there.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

What an amazing opportunity... those don't come along often.
        Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Originally posted by 11KBP View Post

Correct!

Just in case folks have been Googling for information and didn’t find much…. That link may help.

As it says, the site is actually “Powars II” (with an ‘a’ not an ‘e’). It was named after a coach at Sunrise High School who discovered it near the town’s YMCA in the 1930’s but didn’t tell anyone in the archaeological community. As such, it remained undocumented for 70 years.

It’s also known as the “Sunrise Mine Site” and has the archaeological site designation 48PL330

The site name is sometimes mis-spelled as “Powers” in various publications (as it was originally in this thread, before correction).

The original discoverer is believed to be Wayne Powars and he is believed to have found the first artefacts there in 1939. He actually shared his finds with George Frison and Dennis Stanford at the Smithsonian in the early 1980s. They both went to the site shortly afterwards, didn’t find very much and lost interest.

In 1986 Powars was at a Sunrise school reunion and learned that federal mining reclamation was underway, and the site was in imminent danger. He called Frison again, who set about halting the destruction of the site. The original owners of the land (the Colorado Fuel and Iron company) had in the meantime gone bankrupt and sold out to a private owner who refused permission for any excavation or access.

Some 20 years later, John Voight privately purchased the property and then granted permission for archaeological work to begin. He still owns the site today and enthusiastically welcomes visitors.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I hope to visit that site some day if visitors are welcome. Thanks for sharing
            South Dakota

Comment

An old post, but a great one. Thank you for posting it Chase!

This link should take you to a page where you can read more about the site. (And great color pictures if’n you just want to look at a really cool variety of Northern Plains paleo.)

Really cool stuff!

PDF | We report major new insights from recent research at the Powars II Paleoindian red ocher quarry (48PL330). We salvaged more than 7,000 artifacts from Powars II between 2014 and 2016 by screening redeposited sediment from the talus slope below the intact portion of the site....
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Chase. This is one of best Posts I’ve wandered across on this forum. Informative and very cool! Thanks for sharing. All that lithic appears to be the same. Wow!

Comment

Working...
                X