Question Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Only

I have what is most likely not my first find in "what did I find" but as a beginner I had a thought of a question that came upon me about another piece I have yet to photograph. Is there such a point that was used like say a bayonet? I mean in shape only. Like looking straight down with the point facing you as if it were projected towards you it would look like a triangle. Sort of a 3 sided pyramid with a base. I need a camera and time to take the picture. I was told bayonets of certain era had this shape as it would keep the wound from healing. It might be a good tool for a hunter of bigger game as well I was thinking. I would think that design might be ancient. My gut tells me so!

I have never heard of an ancient NA bayonet. I know of the triangular shape you mention and that was common with steel types that were fixed to a musket. Without a picture it is really just a guess based upon your description. I'll guess its a piece that is an unfinished product which are found a lot. Post up some pics and we can figure it out...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• FlashCache
      FlashCache commented
      Editing a comment
      It's cloudy here right now (77080) Houston. But I am going to try to get some pics Thanks!!!! there are 3 more i posted but I need some in natural light.

I'm no expert, but I would imagine some points come out triangular like a bayonet by chance. I have one fitting that description, but it's not typical of the type and you can tell the knapper was struggling with a large stack running the length of the point. So if you look at it head on, it's essentially a triangle. Not sure about points from other areas.

Comment

The Maritime Archaic culture, which developed in the Canadian Maitimes, and extended along the coast of Maine as well, fashioned large ground slate bayonets. These may have been ceremonial in usage. They were accomplished deep sea fishermen, but I imagine bone weapons were more common for deep sea hunting, although ground slate projectiles were likely ideal for use on sea mammals, and that culture made many ground slate projectiles smaller then bayonet size.

The First photo below is taken from this article:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/nl/p...cover/maritime

The second photo below shows a nice long slate bayonet of the Maritime Archaic, and is taken from this article:

https://nlarchaeology.wordpress.com/...haic-cemetery/

Finally, this page has a photo of a beautiful slate bayonet from Nova Scotia:

https://museum.novascotia.ca/collect.../slate-bayonet

Last edited by CMD; 05-21-2017, 08:34 AM. Reason: spellling
      Rhode Island

Comment

• FlashCache
        FlashCache commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow very cool! Sparks the imagination. could be but I'm in Texas. I was thinking Meso American but sea faring and bone??? That sparks thought. It has a similar patina to dinosaur bone. those 2 facts you gave me fit together. please read the location i recently posted with more info. I am waiting for the clouds to brighten or clear before I taker better pics. I saw a video about polished artifacts and revisited this piece thinking only it was a geofact. I posted 3 new pics last night. I was requested for more.

Wow, imagine finding one of those...

Comment

Originally posted by -=METACOM=- View Post
        Wow, imagine finding one of those...
        One of our forum members from Maine has found bayonet fragments...

Rhode Island

Comment

• FlashCache
          FlashCache commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm ready for that find!!!!!

Ground slate weapons, including bayonets, were also used from our Pacific Northwest states through Canada into Alaska. Figure 1 in this thesis shows one example:

The photo shows another large bayonet from the Maritime Archaic of northeastern North America.....

Rhode Island

Comment

Some nice information Charlie. Thanks
          South Dakota

Comment

I saw several in Augusta Maine at the museum many moons ago. What a treat to see in person. A friend of mine found the tip of one in Oxford CT. He thought it was a slate pencil but I examined it and it had the diamond shaped cross section. I doubt it could have been anything else but the tip of a slate point or possibly a bayonet tip.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
            X