Acquired some stuff with very little info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acquired some stuff with very little info

Just recently acquired a group of tools with very little back story. The two smalls were just labeled as "spokeshaves" the darker one had a location of niroba wyoming. The larger tool was just labeled as a "Scraper" no location. My main question on the spokeshaves are would they be considered a Muti tool? They appear to also have a scraping edge and even a possible tip for perforating or the like, along with the spokeshave. But ANY info/opinions on the pieces would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'd call the first piece a waste flake from the knapping process. Second piece looks like it could be a hafted scraper possibly reworked from a broken point.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Not trying to argue you clearly know way more than I do. It appears to be quite worked for a waste flake. Has a pretty clear notched out area like other "spokeshaves" I've seen. I'll try to get some better pics of it. But as I said I very well could be wrong, I'm trying to learn as much as possible,

Comment

Few other pics of darker one

Comment

Inclined to agree with Kyflintguy but we can't say it may not have been utilized as a spokeshave.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That little brown one is a sweetie. I agree with KFG and Greg, Hafted scraper, not specifically spokeshave. The last piece looks like a preform that he couldn't or didn't want to finish due to material flaws.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I didn't post this piece because I was pretty sure I knew what it was. (Arrow shaft straightener) I got it together in the lot. My buddy even demonstrated how it goes together with the supposed "spokeshave" lining up the notch with the hole,it's about an exact match. So I was pretty confident(until now lol) that it was as labeled. But I admit I could be stretching. And any info is good info, I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
              X