Western advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western advice

My family and I took a ten day vacation to Colorado and I just got home. Let me start off by saying wow what a beautiful place with so much diversity. The folks we stayed with kept us hopping with no slack time, it was go, go, go and it was great! They didn't hunt points and with a lil talking and showing my excitement about it they were eager to do a lil looking. They were able to line is up with some of the other locals and found us a place to look. We were staying in the mountains in sagauche county. May have misspelled the county , not sure. I am not sure if we were in that county when we were looking but were close. Anyway, we found a site that was covered in an amazing array of materials. I found lots of obsidian flakes and was hoping for an obsidian point but I am super happy with my finds. I am clueless on the white point missing tip and base, the pink quartz piece I "believe" is a hanna, and the lil mottled brown point has me puzzled. It has all the characteristics of a Midwestern paleo point. It is missing a tiny bit of the base "about an eighth of an inch or less of the basal ear", it is heavily ground, and had an impact fractured tip that barely runs down both faces. It isnt thin and meaty like a clovis. Any input would be appreciated.

Sweet on those. Really good friends to find the time and hook you up with a known site. Congrats.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice finds the first one your correct it is a Hanna the white midsection from what I can tell looks like a Pelican Lake but with out a complete base it's only speculation the brown artifact my first thought was Duncan just because of the Hanna and a McKean site
      Last edited by chase; 08-06-2017, 02:16 PM.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Man those are some great finds. Thanks for sharing.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yes McKean is the brown tan point I call them Duncan but Overstreet calls it a McKean they are basil ground looking at your lithics it is local to the area first and third are quartzite the second is a chert but what they are named I do not know
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• p kurt
            p kurt commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks chase, I was way out of my wheel house. I was happy to find something out west. I knew you could narrow it down.

Man that's cool to find something out of your area !! Congrats !!
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

• p kurt
            p kurt commented
            Editing a comment
            Heck ya, I had help and was glad to get it. Was lucky to have such a good host.

Nice finds Kurt! You find awesome points everywhere you go! Lol I'm liking that McKean its pretty neat looking. There is a good description of that type in the Handbook for Alabama archaeology I was just looking at earlier today. Thanks for sharing!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• p kurt
            p kurt commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too Josh. It was laying flat out and i picked it up and had it in my hand before i knew it was a point. It blended in laying fully exposed. The other pieces were partially exposed. Lots of rain had really moved alot of soil around.

Very cool Kurt!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Some guys have all the luck!

That, or they make their own.😄 Nice finds, coupled with time in CO...that's about as good as it gets.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• p kurt
              p kurt commented
              Editing a comment
              Jethro the points were icing on the cake but spending time and making memories with my family was the pinnacle. I couldn't have even imagined how beautiful it was out there. I will be back.

Kurt, it really gets in the blood, that place more than any other on earth for me, and I've been a lot of places. Glad you enjoyed it!!!
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Really cool to hunt points on vacation! You are truly a rock hound.

Comment

Working...
              X