Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite Flakes?

Hello,

Ok, so I've had this report for quite some time and always wondered about this. I just recently read it again and figured I'd ask about it here.

So the report makes mention of granite flakes. Were the natives knapping granite here(New England)??? The report makes no mention of any granite tools or points found. So are there tools or points made out of granite??? Does anyone have an example?

And also, what is the difference between argillite and slate here?

Schist? Mica schist? Arkose? Can anyone tell me what these are?

Thanks in advance.

By all means Granite was flaked. To make an axe or gouge they would flake, peck and grind the item to form.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Were they making things like points and knives out of it too? Do you have any granite pieces you could show?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_25882.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	608.8 KB
ID:	260483 Well not granite but I do have a point made of Basalt. I also have a gouge that was being salvaged when lost. Here is the gouge. Click image for larger version  Name:	brokegou.jpg Views:	2 Size:	420.4 KB ID:	260484
        Click image for larger version  Name:	brokegou1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	274.0 KB ID:	260485

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          This Gouge is one of my favorite personal finds. I have a perfect on and another the is battered on the pole end but this one here demonstrates they flaked as well as peck and polish and all three of these tendencies are visible in the artifact. It is like the artifact is telling a story.

• -=METACOM=-
          -=METACOM=- commented
          Editing a comment
          It is a great piece, I'd love to find something like that. Always wondered how they polished things.

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          In the North East they used long roller pestle like polishing stones to get into the grooves of gouges. I am pretty sure PKfrey showed a picture of one once? Or perhaps referred to a link that showed one.

That's cool... I didn't realize it was so knappable, always thought it was a real tough stone. Were they known to make points out of it or was it just larger tools?

Thanks for the response.

Comment

I don't think points were knapped from granite in my part of the world. I have never seen one listed anywhere. I don't see how they could have. I have quite a few mauls and hammers made from granite.
          South Dakota

Comment

they did peck and grind to make tools out of granite
            but its not a knappable material,so arrow heads etc werent made from it(to the best of my knowledge at least)

other than tools,i have never seen a granite arrow head or knife blade
            not even at the Smithsonian museums

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
              -=METACOM=- commented
              Editing a comment
              I see. Thanks for the info.

I have a granite grinding stone .... have never found a point or blade though here in Arkansas
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

I have a granite adz & I've found granite chips you'd swear had serrations on the edges until you realize it's how it wore over time. I've been fooled by nature with these more than one time.
              Child of the tides

Comment

I've wondered the same about the use of granite , since it's so abundant in new england. Aside from granite Hammerstones, here are the artifacts I've found. All from one location only.

Seven stones, I'm just not sure they are all granite. Appears to be three types of stone, as grouped in the stacks pic below. All but the two smallest appear to be biface tools. Two smallest are uniface.

Speculation: (clockwise 1st pic)
                1 large chopper, scraper
                1 medium chopper, scraper, blade
                1 triangle drill w/wear on both sides of tip.
                2 end scrapers, hafting stems
                1 semi lunar blade
                1 small blade tip

For anyone out there who can spot granite, please comment...

Name:	20180101_195525.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	279047

Name:	20180101_195623.jpg
Views:	1150
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	279046
                Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

Name:	20180101_200523.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	279049

Name:	20180101_200606.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	279050

Comment

Name:	20180101_200727.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	279052

Name:	20180101_200752.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	279053

Comment

Name:	20180101_205404.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	279055

Comment

Not to be a thorn in your side but what makes you think those are artifacts? Particularly after reading the above discussions?
                        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I'm not certain they are, but each stone appears to have a blade edge, or tip side wear on triangle, and sign of thinning/battering/reduction along the bottom edge. But yes, could be thin granite geofacts.

As to the above discussion, the CRM firm report/chart indicates granite Lithic debitage was present along w/ the other lithics.

Comment

• gregszybala
                            gregszybala commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Please read all of the comments, it will give you a better understanding on what all thought those granite chips were from.
                        Working...
                        X