Questions about fluting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about fluting

It is easy to find resources regarding the fluting of ancient Clovis and Folsom points. However, I am curious about the fluting that sometimes appears on other, presumably far less ancient points.

Is fluting of non-Clovis and non-Folsom points common? Was its purpose to make hafting to a shaft easier? And finally, does the fluting on non-Clovis and non-Folsom points provide any indication as to age?

I have only one artifact with fluting, pictured here. As you can see, it's very small and badly broken The last pic is of reverse side and it doesn't have the fluting. Given what I know about the history of my area (De Baca County in eastern New Mexico) I suspect that my artifacts are only a few hundred years old.
    Attached Files

Lots of points have basal thinning. That's not a flute on your point.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• SeekandFind
      SeekandFind commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Knowing the correct terminology helped. I googled "basal thinning" and that finally got me somewhere. Just learning. Guess I may ask some dumb questions along the way.

No dumb questions when your trying to learn. Many good folks here are always willing to share what they know so ask away.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• SeekandFind
      SeekandFind commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'll keep asking!

Nice little broke. Some of us are short and direct with our answers. I get that way too. Ron's is short and direct but spot on in my opinion. Please don't let that push you away we love seeing finds and trying to help others understand what they have found.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• SeekandFind
      SeekandFind commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Hoss. The response did sting a little in the way in which it was given. Perhaps was not meant to make me feel stupid. I do see that his response was spot on correct. I've learned that basal thinning of points was common for hafting and is not to be confused with fluting. The basal thinning just looked similar to fluting to me and aroused my curiosity. Thanks again and I'll stick around!

Just remember S&F, if you never ask the question, you'll never know the answer. This is exactly how we learn. You did at least three things in your post. You showed us that you were curious, had done your research to find the answers, and you learned what you had with some new terminology. Way to go. By the way - I really like the color of that point, reminds me of a Kraft Caramel.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• SeekandFind
      SeekandFind commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck! Yes, the new terminology helped! I had been googling "fluting" instead of "basal thinning" and wasn't getting anywhere.

Basil thinning and fluting are one in the same but it is to what degree that changes the interpretation on the difference. Clovis And Folsom the intent was for a longer channel so more prep for a bulb of percussion was used to make the striking platform where as basil thinning was more for the intent for hafting.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Sorry that was a lame attempt to explain the difference

Comment

Okay Clovis and Folsom the preform was with intent to run a channel down the point and with other points it was done to thin the point for hafting

Comment

• SeekandFind
          SeekandFind commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! Good, helpful explanation.

Nice clarification Chase.
        South Dakota

Comment

Working...
        X