Bird points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird points

I cannot remember the thread or area I read this unfortunately but it referanced to birdie points .
    A amateur such as myself thinking it was to kill birds .I think of points as almost a cal bullet .
    As the Megafauna were becoming extinct and smaller animals were coming in I start to think in that direction .
    Smaller animals , smaller points , as well as the arrow
    coming into use .
    when I read all my books I never read anything that has to do with why these points are so small and what was the
    use .
    I hear people say fish . But then the Mississippian era had
    equipment for that in some articfts I see .
    So the next time someone says oh look a birdie I want to be the person that has a more educated answer .
    Rabbit ? Smaller game ?
    I have a few bird points as they are called so small I cannot believe they are knapped that small .
    Why so small ?

A chipped crude example of this oh so small point .

Comment

Well one reason is it has to be small to fly on the end of a stick :-)
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

A s Click image for larger version

Name:	P8253448.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	262759 Small arrow point in the heart just as dead as a large point. Here a little guy from a recent hunt. Click image for larger version

Name:	P8253446.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	262758

Comment

An engineer would understand it Tam. A point on the end of a shaft (weight) requires X amount of thrust to drive it X distance accurately. I think Painshill had an indepth post regarding this subject, which I believe was about Atlatl's and Bows vs Darts and Arrows. I'll see if I can find that post for ya.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

"Birdie" is a modern nomemclature. so called 'bird points'--even those under a half inch in length--are lethal enough to kill a deer or even larger animals. These are true arrowheads, intended to be attached to shafts and shot using a bow.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Tam - go to "Artifact Questions and Answers" forum, Page 9, my post about "Dart Point vs Arrowhead for Bow and Arrow." Lots of commentary but Painshill had a very detailed post on it that related the point and its intended use more to culture rather that relative size of the point. I think you'll find it very interesting and quite educational.
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Yep, see above! The Bow and Arrow, Arrow vs Dart and effectiveness/lethality noted.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Ok thank you everyone
                  Chuck go to your post about the blade or point ?? Was that it
                  where Wayne went off with his calculus drawing for me .
                  That is him Mr engineer / architecture guy .
                  headace from his mathematical answers lol .

I like the bow and arrow explanation from everyone
                  thanks again .

Comment

• Scorpion68
                    Scorpion68 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I forgot Wayne was an engineer. Knowing he would love Painshill's post on the subject. When you read it and understand it, it makes sense. But, I still call them Bird Points and they fit in my collection equally well with all the other points/BLADES/arrowheads/scrapers/flakes and doodles or exotics.

It is more of a bow thing and weight I got to sit and listen to a lecture on this subject
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Just an FYI small points killed buffalo. Buffalo have conjoined lungs Pierce one and both lungs collapse. Not all animals are like that but I just wanted you guys to know it did not take much of a hole to bring down critters that big.
                    Last edited by Hoss; 10-03-2017, 10:42 PM.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yep see that's what I want to hear chuck , chase , deb , Tom
                      all of you I get the point thing now . I figured it had to do with weight and a bow . That's why I commented on Chucks .

Comment

Hoss is absolutely correct, just ask John Byrd about the 10.000 + points he has recovered from buffalo kill sites in Montana. It doesn't take a large point to kill a big animal.

Comment

Working...
                        X