Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you "feel" about hafting ancient tools/points or putting them on necklaces, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom I am with you ! This guy found a perfect palmer .
    I mean G-10 put it in a museum type . I posted it , we were on a hot spot . Then he says oh my girlfriend wants to wrap the edges . I said you know what the first time you bend over and hit that on a table .... Boom gone 8k years this beautiful piece is gone .I'll give you a broke Mississippian .
    I was adiment .

Comment

Hi Everyone. Funny I should read this today because i felt the same way as `most` of you on here about turning artifacts into jewellry until yesterday when i read METACOM`s post.
      The little `Gem` in picture four almost cries out to be turned into a pendant(or something). Apart from the history side of it, one reason i dont like to see it done is it is very hard to do aesthetically. But i would love to see that one on a chain, and like p kurt said, given to a loved one to wear. In my opinion it would make the best engagement present ever. If she didnt want to marry you after that she aint the one!! and of course you would see it everyday.
      It hasn't been a good summer for my collection. I put in quite a bit of effort but more often than not, conditions weren't right, and unfortunately I don't
      If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

Actually thinking about it now (and i`m like many on here who would never buy a artifact as such, we are the hunters! and thats the joy of it) i think i would buy that little beauty. If it was for sale, and if i was gonna propose to someone. Worth more than those overpriced diamonds. how much do they say you should spend? its supposed to be a months wages if i remember correctly. AH look at me the romantic....(read fool lol)

Comment

Lucas, you must have a special lady in mind!
          Child of the tides

Comment

• LucasBMylks
            LucasBMylks commented
            Editing a comment
            All ladies are special...just some more special than others. Nah the only love in my life is Rocks, Poker and Beer......maybe not in that order!

Watched a PBS special last night about the fiber and jewelry art of the various Mexican indigenous peoples. Some were making gorgeous necklaces from homemade paper & arrowheads found locally. Gave a new perspective to this debate.
          Child of the tides

Comment

This is a necklace I made rescently to give as a gift. It has a thin jacks reef type style point tied on . It has a lil ding or two but it will be admired more being worn than sitting in my rock room. And the lady I am giving it to will not doubt really appreciate it.

Comment

Yeah Love It. and it will be talked about, what a conversation starter. Will be like a walking museum. Nice job p

Comment

I feel the same way, but others can do as they wish. I have a friend who likes to craft things like bows and arrows or what have you. He had a friend who was also a collector, and this friend had him haft one of his nicest points for him with sinew and pine resin. It was a pretty nice Madison if I remember correctly. It was certainly cool to see, despite the cringe factor.

Comment

I think that putting a particularly colorful or nice point on a necklace would be a good way to honor the artifact and its maker as well as a great way to display and show it off to others. I'm not one to wear jewelry of any kind but I think I would be proud to wear an ancient artifact. After all they've spent hundreds or thousands of years in the dirt not being seen or used or appreciated until someone found them.

Comment

Working...
                  X