No announcement yet.

Cleaning clear gloss off arrowheads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad the acetone worked. I keep it handy for when I screw up paint jobs on models & want to start over again, or for the same purpose you just tried. The fumes are nasty but it works!
    Child of the tides

Comment

I hear ya! I also protect my skin because stuff like that goes right through. Citri Strip is likely safer? It will dry out your skin but I don't think it will hurt you long term.

Von

Comment

Hi Folks,

I bought a really nice triangle today That had a little glue on it so I decided to try lacquer thinner this time. I wetted one end of a q-tip and used the dry end to clean the glue off. It worked really quickly and I think it may be the best of the three because it evaporates so fast. The patina is black on both the cleaned and uncleaned sides under my black light as it should be. If anyone has had a bad experience with lacquer thinner give me a heads up so I know what not to do?

Von

Comment

did ya soak it after the lacquer thinner?? Just wipe it off? Lordy I'se loves my acetone and acetone/duco. Both poison lol. Guaranteed same effect as long as solvent works, is invisible, comes off and doesn't get into and stay in microscopic pores. Even after acetoning I soak the point in water to leach/dilute any residues... I've had great success with getting ink off some items and also rust stains..
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Hi,

The lacquer thinner evaporates so quickly there’s nothing to wipe or soak off. I may stick it in some water just in case there’s something still there?

Von

Comment

I am always concerned about preserving any natural patina on any artifact so made sure that anything it soaked in was all taken back out. If some slight residue stays on it I would venture to say it might change color or pick up color. I've seen many points get stained/tainted just by being on colored felt or foam for a time. Patina certainly changes on some pieces just sitting in a case box! I'm pretty sure lacquer thinner is petroleum based made with oils and other additives. I think it might leave residue... On shell and bone could be a worse problem than on lithics.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

• Von
                Von commented
                Editing a comment
                So you have seen points pick up color from felt? I never thought of that and I use felt in some of my frames? I may have to rethink what I use?

I’m sure exposure to UV in sun light will bleach the patina on artifacts if they are exposed for a long time.

Von
                Last edited by Von; 10-18-2017, 07:57 AM.

I've used gasoline in the past. It didn't hurt the patina at all. Remember, real patina does not come off! Dirt and debree are not patina.

Comment

Working...
              X