Argilite Squibnocket Triangles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argilite Squibnocket Triangles?

This is a question that is geared more towards the northeast guys. I have been lucky enough to find some fairly nice quartz squib triangles over the year or so that I have been a dedicated point hunter. Once I learned that litics other than quartz even existed I found myself infatuated with finding points of different colors, for about a month I was certain that quartz was the only lithic that points were knapped from. I have yet to find an Argy example of a squibnocket triangle, and may never. But I was wondering if anyone has any examples of a non quartz or argilite squibnocket triangle point? Post them here if you do!
    ( I know it's weirdly specific) It's just a point I dream of finding
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

I know they're predominantly found in the NE, but what exactly constitutes a "squibnocket" triangle over some of the other miscellaneous triangle points out there? I'm in the mid-Atlantic and have found two triangle points reminiscent to the squibnocket point (that is more chunky as opposed to the typical flat form of levanna / madison) made of jasper and black chert.

Comment

• Pointhead
      Pointhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Squibnockets are necessarily chunky either. I have found some that have been fairly thin and very delicately flaked! But they're named after squibnocket pond, the site where they were found in large quantities. They are rounded triangle points.

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      i have quite a few squibnockets in northeast and all are quartz or quartzite,,have not seen squibs of anyother lithic,,not that there couldnt be any of course

Hmm. That's a tough one. I have a few smaller argillite triangles that are possible, but I'm just not comfortable enough that they're Squibs to post them. We do have untyped Archaic triangles in the region, after all. I'll post these two triangles. The rhyolite one is probably a Squib. The larger is chalcedony, right shape. But then I think there is some light grinding on the base, which, if so, technically eliminates Squibnocket, so really not sure on that one either. Anyway, quartz is by far the dominant material for Squibs. Boudreau does show a narrow variety argillite Squib in his typology guide....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8513.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	267691
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Pointhead
      Pointhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Charlie those are two beautiful points!!

I found this yesterday, but I don't believe it's a point.. the work just doesn't look like it's there. But the shape reminds me of the narrow version of the point!

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know. I'd have to take a close look, but I think it might be a point. Maybe made off a flake, maybe flaking weathered away. I've gots lots of argillite points, some made off flakes, and some just not showing much flaking at all, but all recognizable....

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      looks like a point for sure

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      looks like a point but need better pics

Comment

Hmm. I'd have to hold that one and try and figure out if it were a point made off a flake. I have quite a few points, including argillite, that were made directly from just touching up a convenient shape flake. This one for instance. It's unifacial as a result...

Name:	IMG_8526.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	267702

Name:	IMG_8527.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	267703
      Rhode Island

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
        -=METACOM=- commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have missed that one for sure.

Hey PH - I'm with Charlie. There's enough there to make me question it's status but I'm leaning toward - point. By the by - that looks like it's almost a dark green color - what's the lithic?
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Pointhead
        Pointhead commented
        Editing a comment
        It's New England argillite!

A couple here might be. Can't really get a good picture through the plxi glas these are in a frame that is nailed shut from behind with plexi on the front. The form is correct but as Charlie said squibnockett is not the only early triangle out there beekman triangles are similar in form and age. They are found farther west in the Hudson Valley NY Click image for larger version  Name:	20171010_153646.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	267734
      Last edited by Hoss; 10-10-2017, 08:29 PM.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Pointhead
        Pointhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look like they certainly could be!!

I'm in the same boat as you and I have only ever found two non-quartz squibs (at least I think they're squibs). I don't have a pic of the red one by itself. The other is argillite. I guess the non-quartz ones are just harder to come by where we are.

Last edited by -=METACOM=-; 10-13-2017, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Nice points!! I just haven't noticed much lithic variety with the squib triangles!! I'll come back to this someday if I'm lucky enough to find a non quartz squib. And post it here. I've noticed squib stems were often made out of many different materials but the triangles seem to have required a level of flaking that couldn't be done as well on argy.. just one theory I have

Comment

Originally posted by Pointhead View Post
          Nice points!! I just haven't noticed much lithic variety with the squib triangles!! I'll come back to this someday if I'm lucky enough to find a non quartz squib. And post it here. I've noticed squib stems were often made out of many different materials but the triangles seem to have required a level of flaking that couldn't be done as well on argy.. just one theory I have
          Actually, I believe the very toughest challenge is distinguishing Squibnocket triangles from Snappit triangles. Squibs have no basal grinding, Snappits do, but find either in a water environment, and confusion can surely occur. Most of the time, but not 100%, Beckmann triangles have a straight base, but those with slight concavities could be easily confused. And I also have untyped triangles with single ears that are not the common single ear variant of Brewerton Eared Triangles, nor Squibnockets, and which I believe may be Early Archaic, as in very worked down Hardaway-Daltons.

Rhode Island

Comment

How about this triangle...maybee dalton or brewerton eared triangle..

Comment

That's a fine looking point!! I'm a novice when it comes to typing but it looks like it could honestly be either.. has traits of a brewerton eared triangle

Comment

Working...
              X