Digging (on private property)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
    Often when digging you might find fire cracked rock. The rock will have irregular breaks and be reddish an calcined from heat. If you dig carefully you can spot post molds and other odd stains in the soil left by decayed organic material. Wiljo showed some wattle and daub in an earlier thread. You can learn a lot from digging. Link to that thread
    https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...attle-and-daub
    Well that interesting. I believe I have found some of that reddish color rock. I’ll double check this afternoon and take some pictures to post

Comment

This is such a helpful thread

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
        This is such a helpful thread
        Yes it is Tam. But I’m not gonna make it to my little dig site today. Gotta stay over at work. I’ll for sure make it tomorrow and get some pictures of the reddish rocks I found last time

Comment

I'll go ahead and put my 2 cents in. I love to dig but its a lot of work and very frustrating. Still wouldn't do it any other way though. I've only ever dug caves but i would assume the same concept stands. Dig to the bottom. In caves you dig to the rock. In a fields you dig to the hardpan/claypan. If you have good soil that shouldn't be a problem. In the Ozarks we have terrible soil in my opinion and that's why i don't hit the fields. The one experience I have in field excavation is when my friend dug out a pad for his shop. One end was over three feet deep and we still found stuff. Anyway good luck and don't give up. It'll be worth it .

Comment

My two cents: Use caution anytime you dig and never allow the overburden a possibility of burying you alive.
            When excessive depth is necessary use the step method and layer it out of the way even if it means using a wheel barrow.
            I never have been buried, more than what I actually allowed to accumulate on my legs and waist, but have had to assist in digging out some of my friends and or family.
            Just use your head and we will not be reading about how someone finally dug you up.

It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

Here is some of what I found last Friday

Comment

And this is the reddish color rock I found on the same day in roughly the same spot

Comment

The red rock when I get it wet it starts coming off red in your hand so I didn’t wash or clean it much. There’s probably more but remember seeing that one for sure

Comment

Also found this little ball on the 4wheeler trail about two weeks ago. Finally found it again where I lost it in my shop lol. It came really clean after soaking it in water

Comment

That’s all I got for now guys. Been having to work extra at work. Hopefully get some rain tonight and in the morning to hopefully wash up some more points in the four wheeler trail. We’ll see

Comment

Leaves suck. Lol. No points just a bunch more flakes and chips

Comment

I’m not finding much guys. Just a bunch of chips and flakes. And just plan old rocks

Comment

That little round ball looks like a musket ball, is it heavy for its size?

Comment

Originally posted by rock ON. View Post
                              That little round ball looks like a musket ball, is it heavy for its size?
                              No sir it isn’t heavy. It really looks almost like chert. I thought it was a musket ball too when I first found it. But the weight isn’t right

Comment

Working...
                              X