Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering if it is broke or made this way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering if it is broke or made this way...

I found this point today and right off the bat figured it was broke but after looking I'm not too sure. Or maybe it was broke long ago and was repaired because I feel like it has been ground but just on the bottom. It measure 2 1/8" long. Resembles my Dalton but the concave is flatter...Hope this makes since as I am new. Tell me what you think.

Also found this awesome uniface, the colors are awesome. Another point as well. On the uniface, can someone explain the basal flaking, it seems almost all the ones I find have this done to them.

Comment

I guess I always figure they were broke, but some talk about a snapped base. I personally have never understood why some one would go to the trouble of making a base and then snap it off. I don't know enough to say this definitely didn't happen, but it doesn't make sense to me.
      South Dakota

Comment

What do you mean by explain the basal flaking? Do you mean that piece missing? I have many without that. I'm thinking it's just a piece that popped off during production, and since it's on the smooth surface, it didn't disturb the function of the tool, so it was left
        South Dakota

Comment

I'm not saying they made the point then broke it on purpose?? To me it is broke during the last thousands of years or it broke and they fixed or it was made that way. I'm not sure...

Comment

Thinking first piece is broke, the barbed point haz been in the gravel a long time, and the uniface is nice. I have no way to verify this but i have found many flake knives and unifaced pieces like you are showing and they came off of old sites usely producing trans paleo "dalton points" pieces. I think that "basal flake" is intentional and common to our heartland area for old uniface knives.

Comment

As far as the basal flake, ok get what your saying but I have found three uniface tools in the time I've been hunting and all have one big basal flake. To me it was put there for a purpose.

Comment

• p kurt
                p kurt commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree

Id say the broken half appears to be ground from tumbling in the creek. I have a half eerily similar from a creek here somewhere... Ill dig it out. No way of knowing exactly what it was with the base missing, especially in a Tennessee Creek... There are several hundred other suitable options.

Cool flake knife! Thanks for sharing!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Originally posted by p kurt View Post
                Thinking first piece is broke, the barbed point haz been in the gravel a long time, and the uniface is nice. I have no way to verify this but i have found many flake knives and unifaced pieces like you are showing and they came off of old sites usely producing trans paleo "dalton points" pieces. I think that "basal flake" is intentional and common to our heartland area for old uniface knives.
                That makes sense, I appreciate it. Thought it was odd I've found three and all three have it. Was just curious. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post
                  Id say the broken half appears to be ground from tumbling in the creek. I have a half eerily similar from a creek here somewhere... Ill dig it out. No way of knowing exactly what it was with the base missing, especially in a Tennessee Creek... There are several hundred other suitable options.

Cool flake knife! Thanks for sharing!
                  Thanks as always! That is what I was afraid of, but to a rookie I thought it may have been worked back.

Comment

The first point, I consulted the Typology catalog: conclusion....💔Heartbreaker.(recognized type)
                    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Heart breaker it is !!!!!
                      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                      NW Arkansas

Comment

The point in the first series of photos appears to have a broken base as Josh/KFG says and smoothed by water action. No way to tell the type without a definite base.The uniface tool looks like a scraper. The basal notched point looks kinda like an Eva.

Comment

to me it looks like the base of the first one was broken off from being torqued sideways

the flake knife with the "basal thinning" ,to me looks like they took a flake there to thin down the bulb of percussion to make it easier to hold

just my 2 cents worth on them,but i am far from an expert

but i do flint knapp and recognize the effects of what was done on them
                          i have used lots of the stuff i make just for the fun of it
                          i have learned that one cannot torque a stone tool side ways like you can a good steel knife,nor are they good for prying like a good steel knife is

ive made scrapers and flake knives to experiment with and that bulb if percussion can make them a bit unwieldy to handle

Comment

It is a possibility that it broke, when the Atlatl dart struck its target. I have found hundreds of these broken dart tips.

Comment

Working...
                            X