Missouri Hardin - Fake or Real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri Hardin - Fake or Real

Hello. I am new to the Forum and have a question. I recently purchased this Hardin from a dealer on eBay. When viewed under UV light the tip shines a bit brighter and from the side the tip looks oddly formed. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on whether you believe the tip has been rechipped. Thanks so much for your time.

I'm not very experienced with viewing artifacts under black light although I am aware it can be a good way to find rechipping and restoration... That being said can we see the piece in natural lighting with good focus? Who was the seller if you don't mind me asing also?
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

It’s really hard to tell from pics .... another way to tell if it has bean repaired is hold it in front of a light , the clay they use to repair with is not translucent at all even out towred the edges .... the natural stone will have some translucentcry out around the edges .... or real good at putting thoughts into words so I hope this helps
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

Josh - Here are photos of the point from the listing. Beautiful little point. The base is authentic, just not so sure about the tip. I sent a note to the seller, who has yet to respond.

Comment

This is the shot that really bothers me.

Comment

Originally posted by drpepper1885 View Post
            This is the shot that really bothers me.
            I wouldn’t let that shot bother me .... they may have retippdd it .... I have some like that
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

Thank you for the replies. The more my wife and I look at it, the more we become convinced that it is okay. The change in flouresence around the tip is likely change a change in the rock and not fresh chipping. You certainly cannot see any fresh chipping with the naked eye.

Comment

Judging by the posting photo, if your seller is who I think it is, he's been reputable. Expensive but seems to know his stuff.
                Child of the tides

Comment

Hey DP - That's a nice looking Hardin, especially in natural light. I really like that lithic. What caught my attention was the difference between the surface texture from about mid-way to the tip. Of course if the tip were buried under ground that might account for that appearance. I'd have bought it.
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I don't see any red flags imo. Looks like the material has some swirls of lighter shades wich may be reflecting the blacklight differently towards the tip. Otherwise looks good for that type. Thanks for sharing!
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I believe it is a reproduction. Wrong material and not up to par with early archaic skill.

Comment

Working...
                      X