Not Perkiomen, Not anything...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Perkiomen, Not anything...

New guy from Central New York here...have a few points I can't identify and appreciate any help you offer. Using Overstreet and Boudreau's New England Typology and Ritchie's Typology, still can't feel comfortable with an identification. I'll post each separately. Thanks!

This one looks at first something like a Perkiomen, but it has those barbs that hang down, unlike any Perkiomen pic I look see. The shoulders are all wrong.

I assume it's Jaspar, a pretty point for sure, but....does it have a name?
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

Welcome from southwestern Ontario.

Comment

Welcome to the site. Is this a personal find? Someone from your area will know the answer. Thanks for sharing
      South Dakota

Comment

This point is from a collection I recently purchased from a local Old Timer who collected from central New York.

Comment

Welcome to forum, I think on another post you stated that the points were from an old collection. That looks a lot like someone reworked a tip into a Snyders like point. I may be wrong a friend has a 50 year old collection that has a lot of reproductions, Gray Ghost and other pieces that looks suspect and if any real points there you would be skeptical about them.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Originally posted by willjo View Post
            Welcome to forum, I think on another post you stated that the points were from an old collection. That looks a lot like someone reworked a tip into a Snyders like point..
            Yep - from an old collection. Could it have been a Native American who re-worked this point?

Comment

• willjo
              willjo commented
              Editing a comment
              Anything is possible, may not be reworked but sure looks that way

It does have a Snyders look to it and possible into N.Y. But not sure. Be patient, we have some folks that know their stuff from your area and will likely be able to help.
            And, Welcome!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Well.....bumping this thread because I have learned a lot in the last year.....and this artifact is still in a display case of mine.....it's a purchased piece from an old collection....and I have serious doubts about it....and I am more willing than a year ago to toss it out of the frame.....

I see no patina at all on this piece, do you? It sure looks clean....And Overstreet's says, under 'Snyders', "This point has been reproduced in recent years." YIKES! That's all I needed to hear!

What would you do with it? Thanks!!!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                Broken Arrow commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe keep it in a frame of questionable points.. If you catalog your items, I would definitely give it notes about your suspicions..

Looks like a clunky snyders. Library books for your area with detailed NA points should be available. Check online for additional details too.

Comment

Working...
              X