In process point? Great lithic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In process point? Great lithic

Well I'm excited about this one..first I don't Knoe what the logic is,but this appears to Me to be in half process.ive never knapped anything but to me it looks as if one half is worked,the outline is complete on one side and appears as if they chipped away to reduce and start matching the other side.to me when I look closely I can tell the outline projected on the other side, I'm wondering if anyone else sees it,i know the pics are bad,but it may even be possible to identify by half? I dunno any help.

From the pictures it looks like debitage. When someone knapps a point, they generally work all sides continuously until they get to the finished piece(as far as I know).

Comment

Could be,third pic on shows best..my pics aren't great much light but I tried to show..coukd be maybe they were practicing or teaching just an idea

Comment

As someone who has been a part of knapping sessions geared towards teaching, I would say it's debitage.

Comment

U would definitely know more than me,and I really appreciate your help

Comment

The stone was worked. Because the stone is a thick chunk I believe that it is what was left over after flakes / spalls were removed and used to make tools or points.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Wm304 - I have to agree with the rest. The pic you mention (#3) does show that it has been worked but in your next pic, the reverse side, you will notice a darken area that has a different grain on the left side of the piece. That would tell me that that piece would not finish into a point because of that defect, which covers three quarters of the length. I'm no expert but I think that's why it was left the way you found it.
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

And as you posted .. it is a great lithic. How all those rocks cooled under the earth to create each individual one is what I am reading about now .

Comment

That does sound Interesting..whrre are u reading that at?

Comment

I actually bought a mineral book .

Comment

U think an autobaun book would be a good choice?

Comment

Working...
                      X