Need some help on the type of chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help on the type of chert

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1722.JPG Views:	1 Size:	184.8 KB ID:	286248 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2717.JPG
Views:	792
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	286433 This artifact came from a farm east of Addison, in Lenawee Co., Michigan. I think it has a Plano look to it, and I'm guessing the material is Ohio Pipe Creek Chert, but I could use help on Type and material.

Thanks, Bayport Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1724.JPG Views:	1 Size:	188.6 KB ID:	286247
    Last edited by Bayport; 02-19-2018, 09:31 AM. Reason: I added another pic to better show the flaking. Color is not as good without sunlight. If you have the Converse book, you can compare the flaking with the drawings for Lanceolate Points (on page 22 of

not sure what it is
    but i do like the material and the blade

Comment

Same here, thatโ€™s an awesome artifact.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Bayport - Welcome Aboard. Was glad to see you posted some really nice pics with all the proper info included. Well done Mate. I was originally thinking Cobbs when I first saw that blade but thought I'd do some addit checking. The Tennessee River, which is a preform, also looked promising. Whatever it is, it's a beautiful blade from a really nice lithic.
        Last edited by Scorpion68; 02-18-2018, 07:49 PM. Reason: Added Id correction to Tn River
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That is a relly nice looking lithic but I have no clue as to what it might be. Is the blade thin? Meadowwood cache blades are similar in form and they are found in Michigan.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Bayport
            Bayport commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Hoss, the blade is nowhere near as thin as a Meadowood. I'm thinking the piece is of Ohio origin, for type and material.

Those white spots remind me of what one might see in Upper Mercer chert. Just a wag but worth looking into . I know its not the typical "bird poop" looking Coshcoton but Mercer varies a bit and I could see it in that range of variation. Nice blade!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Bayport
            Bayport commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah... it's a tough one! I have thought about Upper Mercer/Coshocton, but the solid purple, maroon, and grey to silver coloring with that grainy tan-brown patina doesn't seem to be in the range of what Upper Mercer/Coshocton offers. Pretty stuff though, whatever it is.

Thanks for the thoughts and comments, everyone. The piece is definitely a stout lanceolate in shape. "Ohio Flint Types" by Robert Converse and "Prehistoric Chert Types of the Midwest" by DeRegnaucourt and Georgiady have been my frequently used reference books for artifact and chert types. The flaking really matches up with the large Plano pieces described and illustrated in the Converse book.

While both books have color pics of a variety of chert, "Prehistoric Chert Types of the Midwest" is as good as I've seen on chert. I've been scratching my head for years, over the material on this piece. The only two that seem logical to me are north central Ohio Pipe Creek Chert, and south west Ontario Kettle Point Chert...
          Last edited by Bayport; 02-19-2018, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I don't really think this is likely but i'll throw it out there anyways. Possibly a piece of glacial erratic? Would be extremely rare to find a usable piece that large but not unlikely. Just food for thought.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Bayport
              Bayport commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks... I had not thought of that possibility. It is different than any material I have ever had in my hands.

The photographs are awesome. They show great detail. I was going to say what Greg said about glacial erratic. It may well be just a stone from glacial times found in a wash out. Everyday life was a search for any usable resource for early man.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Bayport
              Bayport commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Hoss. I just use my iPhone 6s to take photos at the highest resolution setting...and hold really steady.

What about Hornstone? ๐Ÿ˜€

Comment

• Bayport
              Bayport commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Pinetree1, thanks for the suggestion. I'm just not sure about the coloring for Hornstone. Have you seen Hornstone going into those colors? If so, I'd love to see some pics for comparison.

• Pinetree1
              Pinetree1 commented
              Editing a comment
              The tip looks like it. I thought maybe the bottom portion was patenated darker. I'm in southern Ky and our stuff patenates a little different. Just thought I'd throw that in there. Not sure. ๐Ÿ˜€

Wish it was mine nice point. Thats a cool brownish color.

Comment

Working...
            X