Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to learn some about terms,ears flute.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to learn some about terms,ears flute.

Hi everyone I'm working on learning and trying to understand a bit more about the terminology as its really helps w everything lol..this piece here is believe is a flake knife or dart type.the ears appear rounded,has a small bulb strike flute.and grounded base. If I were to guess I'd guess poss a big Sandy type or relative.any help is appreciated.also one ear is broke.not much natural light but here's my attempt.thanks..im really trying to understand this specific piece due to it being be best I've found so far at this spot.so trying to see what info I can obtain to learn more about these people who they were and there specific techniques.thanks everyone. Also believe it's a grainy like xonchocton.its dark but bluish when yet.thankd again.

Oh my, jeez 2!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Greg what do u mean by geez 1.2.3 did I ask a question that's wrong.or put wrong or what.

Comment

I'm not seeing a projectile point there, just a flake in a coincidental shape similar to the shape of a projectile point. You need to familiarize yourself with what flaked stone tools look like as your eyes are not yet calibrated to do so. You are finding signs in the form of waste flakes. When you handle a bifacially worked artifact I believe it will click for you and you'll have an "ah ha!" moment.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That's the whole point of my post.to learn what I'm looking at..what I wonder W this piece is if it's a flake then why round the ears.seems like a waste of time. I don't think it's a point at all.but maybe some type of hafted knife or blade.ive found big sandys and St Albany types,st Albany type are biracial bases correct. This would either be a side or corner notch but hard to tell the angle.

Comment

• balddawg
            balddawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Watch Utube on flintknapping, any videos about artifacts, read books. That’s what I’ve been doing and learn to have a thick skin. Unfortunately you will run into the old timers that have years under their belt and sometimes have little patience with us newbies.

Again coincidence, not intentionally worked as a tool. We can only take you so far with our advice. Ultimatley how much you learn depends on your willingness to put in the time viewing artifacts, reading, researching and understanding the difference between waste flakes and flaked stone tools. Watch some flintknapping videos, look through the information center of this website. There are post explaining the terminology. Familiarize yourself with actual artifacts. Your letting shapes influence your thoughts instead of weighing all of the evidence that your holding.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Well to some of extent I agree I do need to do more.but I do look when I have time.tons actually.and I make sure to look things up before I post.which is something I didn't do when I first got to this site. I guess my point is that why can't a flake be used as a tool? Why wouldn't they be,if they had limited resources decent lithics and traveled W em that means at some point I believe they kinda rigged quick tools for the need. Only reason I used this flake specifically is to help w terminology. .For example the ear and yes I'm on shape some is rounded.now why would anyone waste time to round an ear off a flake. Wouldn't they round it on the actual artifact. I'm not arguing at all your point I agree w u.however try n humor me cause this does help me to converse this way.helps me think ya know.whole reason all of us r here is to learn.and ask questions.besises if we just say yeah that's the way it is and never look further well never find anything further js..thanks for your reply

Comment

Flakes can be tools, it takes clear evidence of use or manipulation to be designated a tool. I don't see that with this item. Your "ears", "notches" are just the way the flake separated from the parent stone. Not intentionally formed with pressure flaking like side notched knife/projectile. It seems hard now but once you see it, you will get it.

I am working on gathering some examples of modified flake tools from my collection for an informative post on differentiating modified flakes vs unmodified waste flakes. Hopefully it will be useful here to new collectors like yourself.
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Cool yeah that would be very helpful..yeah seems at this spot I only find flakes.ive never found anything whole up there.did find an Indian mound tho

Comment

Here's some material from the information center that may be beneficial to yours and others learning Worldman.

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...nd-terminology

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...my-terminology

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/information-center-gc33/lithic-artifacts-technology-materials-gc71/knapping-flaking-pecking-grinding-drilling-gc74/197450-knapping-technology-general
                  Last edited by Kyflintguy; 02-24-2018, 07:51 PM.
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks ky much appriciated

Comment

Worldman , Josh beat me to it . There are some great links on this site .
                      If those don’t work for you just goggle your question , like what is a flute in a NA projetile point .
                      You might be more of a visual person and will enjoy sketches and examples they show . I also bought a couple of books on Arrowheads for beginners that actually show how they are made .
                      Time to get a book on the new area you moved to .
                      You could be as intense as where the lithic deposits are to what types are in your area .
                      It’s all up to you how far you take this and what you are willing to research .

Comment

Every question you have goggle it . The answers are there and you can look at them immediately and that will take you to another link .
                        goggle it to a utube link . Watch a guy find a point and explain it . Ask in your area on utube ...

Comment

All great tips tam I actually do do these thing I watch mudsrompers slot on the utube and Seneca relics and the creekwalker lots of stuff.but sometimes they don't explain enough then I come here n ask.also I've Googled and pininterest everything,all those pages I've read several times.soemtimes ya just gotta ask to get over that hump,alot of that is where I think for example on the price in the pic,it would be a side or corner notched it's close to 45deg so could be either. I'm more confirming that I know some terminology,w my post.example rounded ears.on this flake it has rounded ears,and a flute I'm.more looking for confirmation that I'm using the correct terms so we all speak the same language lol.in the pic and I correct it would be a flake,has a bulb hit,have a flute,is it side or corner notched.I believe so but more making sure I'm in line W my term and using this flake to describe what my known terminology is so I may expound it and continue growing W it all those r great resources,aling W overstreet and lithics lab glossary,and the point indenficiation guide online.all very helpful but I don't Know anyone personally to ask so gotta come ask yall..i really appreciate everyones help..

Comment

Sorry to say that it’s just a regular ol’ flake though.theres no ears no flute and no secondary work. It’s just a flake . There’s no corner or side notching on it either, it’s just a regular piece of debitage .
                            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
                            X