A Friend Wants To Trade Me A Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Friend Wants To Trade Me A Point

A friend wants to trade me this point that he got off of eBay. I want some opinions please. He wants a old Japanese Bayonet that I paid next to nothing for so I am considering the offer and want some thoughts. He said it came from the Plain City Ohio area. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trade fairness is a subjective thing, it really comes down to what you want to do, not us. I will say the point looks plenty authentic, although the FL. Marked on the point makes me wonder if the provenance has been mis managed at some point between owners but it could simply mean something else altogether? Or am I mistaking Fl for F6? Lol I could easily see it being an Ohio find but then again white cherts are pretty prevalent in lots of areas here in the eastern US. I say go with your gut but If I were you i would check and make sure your bayonet is not of more value than you may be aware of or paid for it.
    Last edited by Kyflintguy; 03-03-2018, 12:00 PM.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

What kind of help are you asking for? Thoughts regarding what? If you want to know if we think it is a genuine native made artifact then my opinion is yes it looks like one to me. It looks like it was used as a knife during the Archaic time period which spans several thousand years. It is shaped like a number of different types from that time period. As you know we don't talk about monetary values of Native American artifacts on this forum but because nothing stands out in the photo to make it look highly desirable my guess is that it's not worth much. I haven't seen your bayonet but I think I'd rather have the bayonet than a fairly common lanceolate shapeed, 2 1/2 inch field grade point.

Comment

The bayonet is a fairly common one without a scabbard. I got plenty of them. The main thoughts were is it real and the marking on it. It made me think Florida or something else. So far I have read good things. I just wish it was easier to identify the material. I have found lots of pieces of flint in my area and in Florida that are almost identical but I am not nearly as knowledgeable in that area as I would like to be.

Comment

In the bright sunlight the material looks like Ohio or maybe Kentucky material. And it seems like I seen a snap base point from somewhere that looks similar to this.

Comment

Well again what does your question come down to? Would you prefer to hang onto an item of which you say you have several, or exchange it for this knife?
            Child of the tides

Comment

I have already leaned towards him jus buying it. All other military objects I have traced history to except that piece and the point looks neat but not traceable enough. If it was a point that I knew for sure was from just Ohio and the type point it may be I would go for it. He just showed me the frame it came in and it says Richland County Ohio not Plain City Ohio like the dealer said. LOL So the dealer didn’t know anything as well. Not happening .

Comment

• Havenhunter
                Havenhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you even like this knife??? So much waffling, your heart doesn't seem in it.

I have never seen what I call "rust marks" on heavy white patina on any point in FL. I might consider it a Suwannee variant in FL but I do not think that material/point comes from FL.
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

The point ended up in my collection. Just not for a trade. It’s a neat point just no history. He’s giving the dealer he got it from and maybe they can identify the collection it came from and maybe then more history will be released. Ow I’m off to the field.

Comment

Working...
                X