Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent finds(curious if this demonstrates fluting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent finds(curious if this demonstrates fluting)

Found these two pieces.one is very off shape very thin very sharp loons fluted but not sure,so wondering if that isn't flute or no..its my guess that's it's just a flake maybe a cutting tool...the other I'm bot sure it's a oval type shape, concave and ground base,has a weak attempt at fluting on back but it didn't go straight it shot to the side like if u miss a nail that's what it appears to me.but I'm interested to hear y'all views....in addition it's poss the fluted looking flake could have been broke at top but would have been n old break..mostly wondering if there is fluting on one piece and wondering about the bases, I'm trying to wide range a time period.thanks

Hey World. They look like waste flakes to me. Did you find them around a lot of other flakes? I took a walk yesterday and must have seen 100 flakes or so. It looks like a couple of offshoots. The thin one maybe was a consideration and then tossed. I found one just like that also. Our knappers are pretty good at determining that.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Fluting is intentional there is nothing in your pics to indicate that. sorry. There are things like thinning flakes which are not flues but are intended to thin a blade for hafting. which would be the flute yours dose not follow that intent. .
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Yes actually context wise it's the same place I find all my flakes I've posted.just nothing ever whole.lol I find millions of flakes n stuff like that I did find a drill once tho.place I find this stuff I'm kinda thinking was an Indian trail temp camp.i fins most flakes on the ridge bout 1200 ft up..theres a rock shelter close by and creeks I need to check.and one mound very close to the flakes. I'm working on narrowing down where that cashe was lol.hopefully

Comment

Chase thanks for explaining that to me,,that helps I looked it up online and it stated they used it like shock absorbers,i can see now the diff where a thinning flake and flute may look similar but be diff thanks for that

Comment

Just debitage at the most. You can see the difference between a worked artifact and a waste flake can’t you? There are plenty of examples here. Keep researching
            South Dakota

Comment

Yeah I don't believe this is a whole artifacts at best something worked to death worst a flake.or debage.just wondering bout fluting and bases.xomplete artifacts are easy to tell about.im more interested n how styles n types devolved.

Comment

They wouldn't have fluted waste flakes, just points.

Comment

Look on Google Earth and see if there is a ravine or boxed spot away from your chippin site. It would be great to find the lost hunting points instead of brokes and chips. Look for good hunting spots, land has changed but may still be found. We have found killer lost hunting point spots this way.
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

hey tom there is in fact actually is a ravine.i haven't been back to my spot which is at the top of the ridge that's where I find the flakes so they must have made me at the top n hinted the creek.theres also a rock shelter and the spring of that it's a small feeder run almost to where the flakes are

Comment

Tony Beets: "Drill Holes, Drill Holes, Drill holes"!!! Test pit all over there.
                      Professor Shellman
                      Tampa Bay

Comment

How deep would your recommend these holes be? If I dig I'd like to do it as correct as poss to gain max info and of course post all my pics of whatever I find

Comment

Dig to bedrock or maybe hardpan....if you can. If you have a lot of rock in your soil then just try to dig as deep as you realistically can.... What kind of soil? Burned rock midden/heavy rock soil is a LOT different than sand or rich soil...
                          Professor Shellman
                          Tampa Bay

Comment

that's great info..the soil at the spot is fairly good it's at the top of the ridge so not much n form of litter.mostly composted tree leave type soil.essy to dig.n I'd say mostly like a Red clay and compost mix.it actually sounds hollow under it on the ridge.i dunno if that helps.

Comment

I'ma go down wed and try n dig n screen a lil bit n see what comes up..

Comment

Working...
                              X