1 inch SE Tennessee Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 inch SE Tennessee Points

Going over gentleman's collection from South East Tennessee and trying to help him with typing (I saw you that know my typing skills roll your eyes!) Here is a picture of some points 5/8ths to 1 1/8th long that I would like some advice on.
    Top row could all be same type (certainly 2 and 3) Would that be considered an expanding stem?
    Bottom row all have very shallow side notching with 5,6, and 7 being ground on base.

Thank you
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2394.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	289590

Some of those look like exhausted corner notched points. 1,4,5,6 look like the barbs were sharpened off?

Comment

Hey Dylan, I know less about typing. I do know that those little arrow points are a challenge to knap: I made one today.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hey Dylan, nice of you to give a friend some help. Ill take swing at what my first impressions are. I'd say the top three are likely Bakers Creek points.

Number 4 took me a minute to follow up on but really reminds me of the Russel Cave type, I was remotely familiar with it but haven't seen many clear cut examples of that type before. But from what I can find it seems a likely fit...

The last three (5,6,7) all remind me of Brewerton side notched points. I considered Big Sandy but Brewerton seemed a little better fit to me.

These are just my guesses based on the photo, I would not vehemently defend any of those suggestions but maybe that helps you out!
        Last edited by Kyflintguy; 03-06-2018, 10:06 PM.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
          Hey Dylan, I know less about typing. I do know that those little arrow points are a challenge to knap: I made one today.
          That being said from a very skilled modern day knapper. I can guess that they were a challenge then as well. Do ya think maybe that is part of the reason for the wear on these pieces? They were probably hunting/arrow/atlatl points that were used almost daily for hunting that saw heavy use. Just a thought...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I believe Kyflint nailed it. I was thinking Russell Cave too. Is the base ground? Nice points!

Comment

Hi Dylan. As you know it would be helpful to know in what context they were found especially when they are as rough as these. I understand why Josh is thinking Bakers Creek on some. But they aren't clear cut enough to either agree or disagree strongly. Bakers Creek points are usually better made than those poiints. HST, check out the Cave Springs type and see what you think about that as a possibility, especially for 2 and 3. But I don't really like that idea very much because of the base. Cave Springs normally have an incurvate base and these do not. I like the Brewerton idea for those mentioned by Josh. Sorry I'm not helping much. Mostly I'm just thinking out loud.

Comment

Working...
              X