To believe or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To believe or not

I got a new job last year doing road construction. After about 3 months me and my boss was getting to know each other. I started bringing some new arrowhead finds in showing my boss , he looked but I could tell it wasn’t his thing. He said he had a few at home if he could find them he would bring them to me. The one in the pic he brought in about a month later. He said I could have it , I said it looked fake to me . I knew he didn’t hunt for them so I declined. He didn’t care 1 way or the other. It rattled around in the truck for a month or so . We had some shoulder rework to do on a rd in warren county Kentucky. Boss said this is were he found that arrowhead at that was still in the glove box. The road had added a passing lane up this hill. Major rework lots or dirt and rocks were moved. I felt bad for calling it a fake didn’t know he found it himself, he still let me have it. The man had no reason to lie about it. I am still on the fence about this one because I didn’t find it my self. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

I hope it is authentic. I am nieve to modern reproduction points. I hunt and find my own and have only bought a few pieces that were found by fellow hunters and were obviously authentic. We have a member here who by all rights seems to be one heck of a good source of info . Off the top of my head I am thinking pkfrey is his user name. Maybe he will chime in. Good luck, it is one good looking paleo point.

Comment

Hi Josh. There is no doubt in my mind that what you are showing us is a Clovis point and an excellent example of the type. As to its authenticity, I can not say. Your story is convincing. I will leave it up to you to decide that. If it were mine, I would take it in hand to some real experts if I did not find it myself in the dirt. Clovis points as you know are rare to find and ones in that condition even more so. If, as you say, this was a gift to you, and IMO he either didn't have a clue as to the potential value of if so he was suckering you. And I mean no disrespect to you in that sharp comment. Points like this are not given away. As for the lithic. I don't believe that super black chert is common in KY. There are some Bangor cherts that can be very black that are found in nearby areas, which is a possible lithic. I have found points not far from your area made of such material, however very uncommon. If authentic, you have a real treasure.

Comment

• JoshMathews
        JoshMathews commented
        Editing a comment
        The black chert is what makes it look off to me. It's ground were it should be all else looks good to me , would that kind of chert something that would have been used?

My thoughts are he's likely pulling your leg about it being found in an excavation or road construction unless someone seeded it there as a prank perhaps? Its stylized like the Folsom type with the full length flutes and parallel blade edges extending to the base, not really like Clovis imo. Although there is an eastern variation of Folsom that appears in parts of Illinois into Nw Kentucky and parts of Wisconsin, they are extremely rare. Very few well documented examples are known. The material is also unlike anything I would expect to see in Western Ky. Nice gesture from him and cool fluted blade but likely modern imho. Regardless I would take good care of it at least till you can get it into expert hands. Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• JoshMathews
        JoshMathews commented
        Editing a comment
        It matches a debert style, with documented sites in New York and Canada , not from this area I know, maybe it has done some traveling. I know chances are slim, but does it look close enough to even take to the experts? We're would be the best place to take it?

• searchinghawk
        searchinghawk commented
        Editing a comment
        not a debert style,,vail site not far away of where i live,,flute is too long for vail debert point,,if its real its folson point,,excuse typo,,certain letter not working on keypad

I am very skeptical on that point. The material is dacite, a very common igneous rock resembling dull obsidian. It's a favorite for modern flint knappers. What I don't like to see is the edge polish going the full length of both edges, with the absence of any secondary pressure flaking. The long flute is abnormal for this type of Clovis, which could be in the Debert category of fluted points with the deep concave base, and one ear being a bit longer. But the deep base could just be the way the flint knapper wanted to make it. That's unusual in its self. It doesn't conform to most Clovis points found in Ohio. The surface luster appears to be added by maybe tumbling the point in a rock tumbler, or oiled. The few hinge fractures that can be seen are very clean and white, and on dacite these oxidize to a yellowish color. In the last photo, there is abnormally extreme pressure flaking to meet the flute, and this creates a steep angle at the base. The flute should be all the way down to the base, created by a striking platform. It's very clean, and shows no evidence of actually being in the ground. Dacite hydrates over time, like obsidian, and should be a lot duller in appearance from age and weathering. It has an unnatural polish on it. My instinct is modern. P.S. Dacite does not outcrop in Ohio. It is purchased by the pound by flint knappers. Most of it comes from the western part of the country. Sometimes imported from Europe. The material its self would be way out of place for Ohio.
      Last edited by pkfrey; 03-10-2018, 09:34 PM.
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• JoshMathews
        JoshMathews commented
        Editing a comment
        Western Kentucky

• pkfrey
        pkfrey commented
        Editing a comment
        I think if you had a microscope, you might be able to see some clues that tell you the difference between repro and authentic. And I would urge every collector to invest in a $200 microscope, and learn what to look for. It would be the best investment a collector could make, as good as another $200 artifact! If a collector sends 10 artifacts out for a COA, they could have bought a scope for the same amount of money.

• Pinetree1
        Pinetree1 commented
        Editing a comment
        It also helps to purchase some reproductions to compare with authentic points to see the differences under the microscope!

It’s in perfect shape and so rare like Joe said .
      I would send that to PK hands down .

Comment

The hinges set off alarm bells with me. I've seen a few authentic points with hinges so I'm not saying hinges rule out authenticity altogether, but its luster sets off another alarm. It's neither Clovis nor Folsom but bits & pieces of both. Odd imho,
        Last edited by Havenhunter; 03-12-2018, 05:44 AM.
        Child of the tides

Comment

I live in Warren Co. and have hunted all over it for 25 years. Although we do find a black flint around here that is similar, it's usually dull, not shiny. I'm also skeptical due to the fresh looking hinge fractures. Being 10,000 years old, all hinges should be wore down, almost gone. I, like PK, also question the flutes that don't start at the base. I can't say 100% by looking at pics, but there are red flags. Like mentioned before, I would take it to a professional for a looking at. I hope for you that it's real! 😀

Comment

Your boss may have very well found it. Someone else on the job may have planted it for him to find.
            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
            X