Drill question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill question

Is their any way to narrow down time frame on a drill like this? Haven't found any other artifacts made of this type of flint. Not sure of material. This is a personal find of my mine from southern western Kentucky , Logan county. Any help would be appreciated.

You can usually tell the date by the base, like a Dalton base but not sure what time period a paddle drill like that is.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

It looks like it's made from Dover chert. That is a really nice drill. I don't know what type it would be but as well made as it is it makes me think early archaic.?

Comment

I would say no and I think p kurt is right about the material. Dover

Comment

Could be Dover I wonder if it is Adena realted given the rounded end? That is a sweet find for sure. Josh have you ever found any Adena material in proximity of this drill?
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• JoshMathews
            JoshMathews commented
            Editing a comment
            I have found a few adena points on the same farm, they wasn't real close maybe 400 yards .

Nice find Josh! I think Matt is hot on the trail as the base lends a clue to possible age. Like he said your finds from that vicinity could also lend a clue if you wanted to make a good guesstimate of likely time period. I'm seeing some subtle yet noticeable patina change from the original surface in the center, top portion of the base to the final resharpening into a drill form. This can sometimes suggest the artifact was possibly salvaged long after it was first made. Very nice drill form, thanks for sharing!
          Last edited by Kyflintguy; 03-17-2018, 12:12 AM.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That is a beautifully preserved drill. Having retained its final form without damage is amazing. Can you tell us the story behind how you found it? And what other artifacts have you perhaps found close by.
            --Deb
            Child of the tides

Comment

• JoshMathews
              JoshMathews commented
              Editing a comment
              I will take it from the top then. My aunt and uncle let their neighbor winter 1 of his cow heards on their farm. Their is 3 springs that run all the time , so their no need to bust ice in the winter. Their is a kinda u shaped bluff wall which the cows love to stay in to get out of the cold winter wind. Cows are very destructive to the ridge line and the hills that lead to were they get out of the weather. I normally hunt around the springs and the Creeks they come from. The creeks run together for a short bit, then off in to a sinkhole. Yesterday wasn't haveing much luck , I was just looking at all the damage the cows were doing. All the differnt erosion types cows should be at the top of the list. Started seeing flint being washed off the hill side and the hunt was back on😊 After flicking over seemed like 100 flint flakes I hit 1 that didn't move. I grabbed , what turned out to be the big end of the drill, started pulling it and it just kept comeing . Just about stroked out when I realized what I found. Haven't found anything else from the hillside. I have found a few paleo , many archic , and a few woodland artifacts around the springs ,in the creeks. On my really brave days I will crawl down in the big sinkhole and find stuff too. If I ever come up missing I might be at the bottom of that death trap, lol

Man that’s a nice drill! Wow!
            South Dakota

Comment

Thanks for the story!
              Child of the tides

Comment

Super drill. Definitely hard to date drills if they aren't found in context unless it has a distinct base. As the others mentioned. Adena is not a bad guess.

Comment

Love that story .

Comment

That’s a beauty man!
                    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Ok...I know nothing much about this I'm new but I know a few things about dinosaur bones and antiquities. The fine detail on the drill looks like the knapping was done by an old man! To do what he did on the bit part of the drill part alone, with out breaking it, is a miracle unto itself. I also see mechanical reasoning in the bit design that might suggest a more modern thinker. the paddle looks almost like a scraper as well. I'm a newbie but I am studying this a lot. I want you to pick this aprart if I'm out of line here. I don't know a Dalton from a Big Chief tablet! Good night Elizabeth!

Comment

Oh and yes! In my humble, uneducated opinion that is a beautiful innovation on a classic!!!! Very nice piece!!!!

Comment

Awesome drill! Looks like Dover to me, but need better pics in different light to be sure. Nice find! 👌
                          It does look Adena based. Like others stated, points from close proximity give clues as to the age.
                          Last edited by Pinetree1; 03-20-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X