Massive axe head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive axe head

Today we came across this axe head in my grandfather’s belongings. A note with the item stated that it was found by a relative in 1870 in Athens County, Ohio on a hilltop. The axe is very large. I placed a quarter in the photos for reference. The majority of the axe head is extremely polished, it has grooves on three sides, and it has a very fine point. Any info on the item would be helpful. It almost seems too large and too nice to have been used. Could it be ceremonial? I’ve never been to Ohio and know nothing of the Indians from the area. I’ll definitely be doing some research tonight. Thanks!

Beautiful Beast!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

WOW.
      That is outstanding.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Nice three quarter grooved axe.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Not a whole lot of ceremonial wood chopping going on, but a tool like that would have been extremely important, and also in order to be used more effectively, would need to be well made....
          thats real beauty!,
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Jkarvise
            Jkarvise commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point Jethro. I don’t know much of anything about ceremonial items. Thanks for th input!

I have a full grooved axe that weighs close to 14 pounds. That is a full sized news paper under it. Click image for larger version

Name:	bigax1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	295751
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            This one was actually used for the ceremonial slaying of dinosaurs!

Good lord, it would take a mountain of a man to swing that...

• BabaORiley
            BabaORiley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hoss is that the one that was found next to an old stone fence line? I seem to remember that massive axe...

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Hoss I have to ask .. what’s the story in that monster . Not to take away from JK but whoa

That's both a beauty & a beast! Very very nice!
          Child of the tides

Comment

That is an awesome axe Jkar. It is in really great shape also. It could have been left on that hilltop for safe keepings as it was too heavy for travel...maybe to be used on the way back through and whomever stashed it never came back. Really awesome axehead man...
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

That is one heck of a nice Axe! Thanks for sharing!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That's a great axe. Those grooved axes go back as far as the Middle Archaic (8,000 B.P.). Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Thanks all for your input. Greatly appreciated! I just about passed out when my mom pulled this out of a dresser drawer. I can only dream of finding something so nice on a hilltop.

Comment

That's one monster axe. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                    X