• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iffy need opinions

Need opinions. Help authenticate!!!
    Tennessee

Did you buy it or find it?
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I found it but there has been a disgusting epidemic sweeping the land down here in Tn where people have been making things and just throwing them out everywhere. It looks real to me, color is right, but the base is a little to sharp an if im correct its supposed to be ground on this specific type.
      Tennessee

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        That should be part of a Knapper's Code or Something. "I shalt not leave My Work Amok"!
        Last edited by JoshinMO; 05-21-2018, 12:55 PM.

• Tennguy
        Tennguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi. I am an archaeologist here in Tennessee. What makes you think people are making new artifacts and throwing them out in fields? I am 65 years old---and I only know about one time when that was done in Tennessee. It was about 50 years ago and an archaeologist was doing it just for a very brief time and for a very specific purpose. He was making Hamilton or Madison points out of Mason jar glass. Some of the points still had the raised portion of the cursive "Mason" still on them. If someone really is doing this, they need to have there butt kicked because it could mess up the archaeological record---meaning it hurts both collectors and us archaeologists in the long run. What say ye?

It looks kinda authentic and kinda fake to me. I would probably have to have it in hand to say more for sure. If it is a genuine artifact then it is a super find that you made. It is a real beauty. In the location where it was found, have you found other artifacts made during the Early Archaic period about which you are not suspicious. And if so, what are the types of the points? This one has attributes more like Kirk Corner Notch due to the lack of obvious bevelling. Otherwise if the edges do have a distinct bevel then I would likely think it is a Lost Lake. As far as basal grinding goes some Kirks have little or no basal grinding. All Lost Lakes that I have handled have ground bases like Decaturs and Dovetails.. BTW you might get better response to your inquiry if you had posted it in the proper forum section.
      Last edited by sailorjoe; 05-21-2018, 10:34 AM. Reason: edited first sentence to say what I meant to say

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        It does look kind of good from the photo. The serration's? Neat Point, I can say that.

It was kinda last minute thing sorry about the posting was gonna edit it but i had other things going on at the time. Anyways, i believe it to be a kirk considering that's pretty much all thats found in the area surrounding where i found this one. I personally have found many kirks, snapped base, blades, and others. Never have i seen let alone found a corner notch in such great shape is what made me kind of leary. I have showed a few people i have connections with and they all say its a kirk but i had one bad remark made about it and it kinda stuck in my head driving me nuts. To sit an think the find of a lifetime might be fake is depressing to say the least.
      Tennessee

Comment

Based on your last comment regarding the site on which it was found, I believe you got the real deal. Congratulations!

Comment

I can't say whether it's ancient or modern. So people who are into flintknapping are also into faking collectors? That's disgusting. If you know any of them recommend a good doctor.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Good Find!
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

It might help us to both form and give our opinions on that piece if you could give us the context of how you made the find.
              Farm field, stream bed, out in the middle of nowhere or right beside a road? Was it sitting up loud and proud or partially buried?
              It would have helped if you had an in-situ.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I found it in the middle of a fresh cut made by a dozer during the making of what's soon to be a large duck hunting hole close to a river bottom.
                Tennessee

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                  2ndoldman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Highly doubtful that it was planted then. Display that beauty with pride.

Ha! My first move as a Mod!
                call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                  2ndoldman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What move did you make?

• OnewiththewilD
                  OnewiththewilD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This was originally posted in THE GREAT OUTDOORS thread, I moved it here to artifact question and answers

Looks good to me .
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I would say it’s good too. I don’t see anything to alarm me. The fact you found it is the biggest reason
                  South Dakota

Comment

Looks like a text book pinetree corner notched point. Sweet

Comment

Unless you consistently walk a predictable path when you hunt, the likelihood that someone salted your hunting ground just before you set out seems highly unlikely.
                      Forget the naysayer and be proud of that terrific looking point! Congrats!
                      Deb
                      Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                      X