Looking for the name of a tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the name of a tool

I've been looking for the name of a specific type of tool. The artifacts in question have several tools on them, sort of like an ancient Swiss Army knife. They have an abrader, spokeshave, and a rabbit(usually). What they also have is a blunt point that ends just under the tip of the index finger. This is the tool I would like to find a name for. My best guess is that it works kind of like a thimble. I have seen many examples in many collections, but no one names them or seems to know what they were used for. Here is a pic of one of them. Pics of yours would be great too. Thank you

I call it "rock".

Comment

Kinda a cool rock though..looks like it has a face...

Comment

Im not seeing what you are describing, do you have more pics. maybe closeup of tool part of the rock.

Comment

The tool part that I'm talking about is the top of the stone.  When you hold it in your hand the blunt point sits right under the end of your index finger.  It makes a very strong fingertip tool.  I have several that share this tool, but I can't seem to find info on what it was used for.  I know it's not as exciting as an arrowhead or knife but I'm sure it was an important tool none the less.  The spoke shave is the area just below the chin.  The abrader is the region around his mouth, and the rabbit (for lack of a better word) is right across the bridge of his nose.  And yes that is a face.  It is also an effigy stone. 
          For those who just don't know any better this is not just a rock.  I have already taken this to a couple of museums, the curators of which both wanted this one very much.  I've also turned down an offer of $500.00 from a big collector in my area.  (That's a lot of money for just a rock.)  I have no interest in selling this one though as I plan on handing this down to one of my kids.  It's made of red jasper and I think it's about 6cm tall.  Sorry about no more pics for awhile, still looking for the chargers for my cameras.

Comment

Hey Man very cool..Im here to learn..It does look like an effigy rock.So a multipurpose stone unh?...too interesting thanks for bringing to our attention..

Comment

What area this come from man?

Comment

Looks like a rock to me, not a tool.

Comment

Western Oregon

Comment

Would still like to see more pics. when you can. Different angles thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X