How to go about recording my finds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to go about recording my finds?

I made an introduction in the appropriate forum, but I'm new to this and my main area of interest lies in finding and recording the artifacts I'm finding on my own property.
    It never occurred to me to make a photographic record of my finds in situ while surface collecting. Now I'm carrying a camera in my pocket--and, of course I forgot to use it when I found something yesterday.
    How do I properly record my finds so that I can preserve their authenticity? I do not intend to sell anything, but want to maintain a collection to stay with our farm and pass down to my son and daughters.
    Thanks!
    Anna

Hi Anna. In the past I kept track of my artifact finds just by writing down all information. Campsite? Firepit? Creek bank? Just out by itself? that kind of stuff. Still not a bad idea of course but now you can record with a G.P.S. unit the very foot that you find something. With this you can return to the spot every time and know that you are in the right spot. If you don't have one they are some around $100. Well worth the money because if you come across something outside of your property you can record those. I have found severasl caves in Arizona and have the cords recorded  and can pass them on if needed. They also work great for getting back to your car when out hunting artifacts. And my favorit use is for geocaching. Great hobby second to artifacts. Good luck

Comment

I use a Brother printer that prints a tag that I put on each of my finds.

Comment

Working...
      X