Find Paint on a Piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find Paint on a Piece?

I've been hunting a while, and have only come across two pieces with paint. One, which appears to be a spear of some sort, somewhat large with just a few specs of the color, and this (pictured) small arrowhead which has obviously been painted yellow, or as natives across the world have referred, ochre. From what I've read Indians did this sometimes to make them easier to find once lost. Has anyone else found a painted piece? Both I found came from the same place, Richmond, Virginia. James River, just below the fall line.

That looks like highway paint could have been near road getting striped. Only found one broke arrowhead with initials on it and feel sure someone had found it scratched their initials on it and either lost it or threw it back down. Never one with paint on it.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That doesn’t appear to be a worked piece of stone to me. And I can’t say I’ve ever read about them painting them to make em easier to find, I have read about them painting the shafts of arrows in historic times though but for reasons of ownership or claim of a kill.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I agree with Jay painted shafts yes painted points never heard or read that. I also do not see a point there David not sure what that is. What Johnny says makes sense too it looks like the yellow color of the center lines
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

David, I agree with the fellas that your find looks to be just a rock. Origin of the yellow paint will likely never be known but that looks like modern paint formula to me.
          Child of the tides

Comment

I can definitely put all those ideas into proportion as well. My last stand at my idea: Here's a pick of the other stone piece with similar paint. Same type of rock too... makes me want to find out more about it. Unfortunately for me, pieces I have found at the site these two came from don't hold beautiful shape. For one, they came from a river bank, constantly being pushed around. Two, this area has unusual shapes, not typical of further western US. These are from Virginia. I have another, same origin, similar shape, in the white.

Comment

Yellow road paint is my guess too. You never know how Rocks end up in the river, from anywhere.And there’s no way paint would cling onto stone that’s been rolling and rubbing around for centuries in the water or by it ,mixed with other stones I would think
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Hello David1985 I'm not positive what that yellow stuff on the rock could be possibly road paint as others have said. I think it could also be a yellow slime mold or yellow lichen growing on the rock. Just a thought to check out. If you have a sterioscopic scope it might help out.
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Thank-you Sugaree! That's a very plausible answer. Being that the find was nowhere near roads and they are slightly different colors, but forms of yellow. Now, with that idea, I could also see the particular slime or lichen more prone to that type of rock possibly, since they are my only two of a few hundred with it. I'll research it as I don't have the tool you mentioned. Thank-you for your open-minded advise!

Comment

Mr. Sugaree! I believe you solved the mystery! I finally just had some time to "google" into the Lichen Idea. A simple search (yellow lichen on rock) shows highly qualified evidence of exactly what I have. Especially the fact that in almost all the pics, they look like the same grey rock. Find Em' Shiny! Pick Em' Pretty. Peace.

Comment

Working...
                    X