Possible Repro Cornertang Info Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Repro Cornertang Info Needed

Tomorrow I am going to look at a curved cornertang knife approx. 10" x 3". I can't really tell you much about it right now but was hoping for some insight before making a decision. The owner has a large collection and bought this piece at auction so doesn't know about true age. He was being honest with me by sharing that as to me it looked good but I am fairly new at this. I will be looking at many other items and hope to post some photos tomorrow night. My question is this. I read in another post that even some better modern cornertang knives could be valueable and that some makers signed theirs. How would they be signed and where should I look or what should I look for? I know about looking for the mineral deposits and have a 20x loupe that I will bring. I am curious about how modern knappers signed their pieces and what would be a fair price for a 10" knife if it is recent or not ancient. Last is if it is an authentic piece with modern "enhancements" does that kill it? Appreciate any and all replies!

I feel like I am going outside, its snowing, and I didn't bring my coat! Anyone??? Just kidding, but really was hoping for some insight. Guess I'll have to go a bit on the blind side. I'll take a lot of photos as time allows. Sort of excited but also know I am dealing with an experienced collector. If I can make a large purchase and sell off some items to recoup my investment I may try that but don't want to end up with a bunch of field grade points that won't sell easily (if at all). According to Texas columnist Bill Young he states that nearly all Cornertang knives are made from Edwards Plateau chert and most are found in the same area. I'll be leaving shortly but will check for replies before heading out!

Comment

Heres the 10" corner tang piece. Looks modern made but wanted to post the photos. The tang was much wider than any others I have seen. I traded a few coins for some inexpensive pieces and hope to work a deal soon for the "better" stuff. I ended up being there for quite a while and still only saw what was in this one small room. A lot of unique pieces, some recent, many authentic. He has a lot of Native American items from old tins and advertising to almost anything you could think of. I will try and post the two pieces I bought later.

Comment

Working...
      X