Think it could be a hammer stone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think it could be a hammer stone ?

Its different than any others ive found...and i worked my tail off getting from down tween those tree roots, so im askin lol..if its just a rock...then its a doorstop now...see how it looked just cleaned...then in the next pic its dry and kinda scuffed on the ends and edges
    Attached Files
    People only see what they are prepared to see -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't see what looks like pecking on it so I'd say no

Comment

Nice rock ...man it's hard to say....I got many many problematic stones I bring home ...as do all our fellow kickers....I put em in the yard
      SW Connecticut

Comment

What seems to look like battering or wear isn’t on the right parts of the rock for a hammerstone. The use wear should be mainly on the ends. This looks like natural wear and tear on a rock.
        South Dakota

Comment

Looks like a concentration could be flint but looks natural
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Hammer stones sometimes have a disk shape and side divots from crushing edges. Sometimes elongated shape. Such variety in size also. If you find chips of material in the area that increases the possibility, but until then it's not very convincing because rocks just get worn. That's the thing with hammer stones. I put em in the yard too. What do I know lol.
            New Jersey

Comment

I think there’s more than one kinda hammer stone, some are just that,hammers, used to bust open bones or drive in stakes into the ground and such. Then there’s also hammerstones for knapping, they will show usage wear on the ends that do appear to look like pecking and often also have abraiding scars along the sides or tops. The regular hammers will show wear on the flattest part middle of the stone from palming it and using it to bash with.
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

That would definately seem like a natural stone to me. Hammerstones should have evidence of pecking similar to the piece I found yesterday. Click image for larger version

Name:	12683.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	331811

Comment

• O.C. Hermit
                  O.C. Hermit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Neither. In the ground ..small ridge in the woods where ive been finding stuff a few months...figured might find tools ..reason i asked

Cool , firsr ive seen in your post yesterday
                People only see what they are prepared to see -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by O.C. Hermit View Post
                  Cool , firsr ive seen in your post yesterday
                  Did you find that piece in a creek or field?

Comment

Regardless it is an absolutely beautiful rock. I often times am in a known formerly inhabited indian location and every rounded rock I see I try and figure out a way in my mind to make it an artifact. Just yesterday I found what in my opinion is a banner stone preform without a doubt. However, without a hole in the middle of it you have no way definitely saying it is an artifact other than the fact it was polished into a shape. Is it possible nature did it, I would say yes. Was it more than likely polished by man, I would say yes to that too.

Comment

Looks like a cooking stone maybe since it's red round and found on a site.

Comment

The infamous bola stone...could be...

Comment

Just a nice red stone when you find one used it's easy to see the wear .

Comment

I'm not sure what this is Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181115_092351.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	332471 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181115_092406.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	332472 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181115_092437.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	332473 Click image for larger version