How to identify and classify these 2 points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to identify and classify these 2 points

How do I identify and classify these points?
      Both points were found in Hopkins County, KY in a corn field. Now what would my next step be?

I don't know about you but I would go get a Cold Beer and sit down and hold them and be thankful. Just kidding!! Nice find thanks for showing them and keep up the good luck.

Comment

horse...you don't mind if I call you horse do you? Sounds like we took the same class on classifing and identification. Think if I remember it was called the "Sit, Hold and Brew Theory"...a crash course in Artifact Identification.    :woohoo:

Comment

No horse if fine. Been called a lot worse. The name came from the fact we got a wildhorse from the BLM a few years ago and broke it to ride, Great horse for the mountains. Then we moved to a lane in the country called Wildhorse Lane so folks started calling us wildhorse folks. Just kind of stuck.

Comment

I mean it in the nicest kind of way....you can call me headhunter if you want.
          Sounds like "Wildhorse" was meant to be your name...who knows maybe in a previous life you were a Indian and that was your name or maybe you were just a wildhorse...either one is a nice thought to consider.

Comment

^^ This is a pretty helpful site for typing points. It's not perfect but it helps imo. Check out Kays Blade under " Stemmed Projectile Points ", I think that's what your piece on the right is. The point on the left looks Adena related to me. JMHO

Comment

Ryan, Great link! I added it to my favorites. Looks like a good place to id some finds and types. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

No problem SAR, that was Ky., here's the page for every state and another helpful I.D. site.
                  http://www.projectilepoints.net/Proj...intSearch.html
                Home Page for those interested in Ancient Native American Arrowheads or Projectile Points

Comment

Thanks again Ryan! Great sites. I love to learn and quite often I get items that seem to elude an id. I am sure others will appreciate those links as well!

Comment

Ryan...I'm sooooo happy you shared this link. You just don't know how happy! A couple years back someone who had purchased several points from me on ebay gave me the link to this site and I saved it in my favorites folder. He lives in Texas but went to college in Bowling Green, KY so had a interest in KY points.
                    It wouldn't surprise me if some of you know him. Lee is a big collector and the closest thing to a expert that I know. Anyway to make a long story short we lost touch with each other and about a year or so back, my computer crashed and for the life of me, I couldn't remember what the address to this website was...you know how it goes, when you have it saved in your favorites folder... you don't have any reason to type it in and I really never paid attention to the website address while I was on the site. I lost Lee's email address as well so had no way to contact him to ask what it was.
                    So a very big thank-you to you my friend! Better believe I'll write it down this time.
                    jane

Comment

Ryan...I was so happy about the link you provided... that I forgot to thank-you for your help with the identification of the 2 points.
                      I'm gonna have to work on this area of my hobby.
                      Before reading your post... I had looked at my Overstreet Guide and thought the point on the right of pic was a Ledbetter but after looking closer, I figured out that it wasn't...because Ledbetter's have one blade edge that is curved more than the other. I'm sure there are other differences too, but this is the one that I noticed.
                      Then I thought it might be a Little Bear Creek....about that time my hubby walked past and said it was a Pickwick. So here we go again, back to the books. I swear it made my brain hurt!
                      So many of them look alike...this identifing stuff is not as easy as some might think... it's hard for me to see the differences, until I've studied it for what seem like hours upon hours.
                      I'm so glad you came to my rescue.
                      jane

Comment

Hi Jane, well after you have finished the beer (or beers, because two finds like that certainly justifies unlimited celebration) I would assign a number to each point and log them in a journal or your choice of computer program. I agree with Ryan on the point to the right it resembles a "Kay's Point" they are known for having one barb higher than the other. The other though the stem looks to be adena looks more like what is known as an Elora point by shape, but that is my opinion. My intention was to get my ID Guide out and confirm that, but my 19 year old son's girlfriend has cleaned our farmhouse for the holiday's and as always turned finding something you use daily into a "Where's Waldo" event. Once I locate it I will confirm what I find on point on the left. After I assign a number to my finds I enter type of point it is, material(which in your case appears to hornstone on both points) date found, and location including owner of land if known, along with dimensions (length and width). This helps guys like me who can't recall what they had for supper last night keep track of stuff. That is what I would do, hope it helps a little, have a happy holiday. William

Comment

Wm...your house sounds like mine around the holidays...I remember when my daughter would do the exact same thing. Whoever heard of putting the Overstreet on a bookcase! :blink: I swear!  :angry:
                          She's married now and although I miss her terribly...I can finally have things my way and the Overstreet stays on my end table. LOL
                            You are sooo right, I was indeed a happy camper the day I found those 2 points...but then again, I never leave a field disappointed, since I'm a avid rock hound as well. Yes that right...I love rocks!
                          I found the smaller point first and it looked just like a little Christmas tree ornament laying there on top of the ground, just waiting for me to come along and pick it up and put it in my pocket. 
                          We went looking yesterday... every point I found was either chipped or broken...we still had a great time (despite the mud) and found several nice pieces to add to our collection.
                          It was so muddy from where the snow had melted plus we were looking where a dozier had been working, it was not just muddy... it was muddy Muddy! I literally walked out of my boots...my boots just stayed behind. My feet were so icy cold that they were numb but still ached...and oh man talk about crying like a baby...they hurt so bad when they started warming up...I could of cried. The mud was the kind that the more you walk, the more that collects on your boots... until at last you feel like you've got big fat muddy snow sleds on.
                          Your idea about cataloging them in a journal sounds like a wonderful idea. I think I will start this with the points we found yesterday. Do you use a computer program for yours?
                          Thanks for taking a look and for all your help. I appreciate it more than you know.
                          Here's wishing you and everyone else here will have a wonderful Christmas!... don't eat too much! HA!
                          jane

Comment

Jane if you go to the blog section here and look at man's blog whose name is Greg Dush he wrote a blog on utilizing microsoft excel to catalog artifacts, and has an example in the blog. Though I haven't done this yet it seems to be pretty thorough and excell is a nice user friendly program. Check it out and let me know what you think. Bill

Comment

Hey Bill...thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it out. I'm not a pro using excell by no means, but if it is somewhat explained and a example is shown....then it sounds like something I could do.
                              Think I'll check it out now.
                              Thanks friend!

Comment

Working...
                              X