3/4 Groove Axe, Pike Co ILL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4 Groove Axe, Pike Co ILL

This is one of the two pieces I picked up today. Is this considered a axe or adz? Looking at Lar Hothems Best of the Midwest book they look pretty close? The smaller Axe's anyway. I believe it is an axe but would like to be sure. It has the weight and size written on it and also says, "Von-Sept 97- #120", amongst other markings with "Pike Co. ILL." It measures 2 1/4" x 3 3/8". Any idea what the "Von" means? Here are some photos,

I am guessing Von could have been the property owner or the finder it is hard to tell. Maybe someone on the sight from that area could shed light on that for you. Collectors all have their own system, I use an abbreviation on mine. For example I hunt fields owned by the Byler family here in Ohio, it is a farm obviously so I number the piece BF001 for example and so on. It to me is an axe without question. Pike Co. has produced some historic artifacts including alot of Thebes points that are legendary. Hope that helps a little. Happy Holidays and stay safe.

Comment

Thanks, Appreciate the reply. I am thinking it must have changed hands to have all of the writing on it. Personally I think the writing takes from the value as well as displaying it. The other piece I posted, the bannerstone looks much better with very little writing. I can see though where there must have been an old sticker at one time as the residue is still visible. I know I posted this in another thread, but why not use invisble ink and photograph our finds? The artifacts would certainly display better looking in their natural state as found. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
      X