Guess/ ballpark value of 175 framed arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess/ ballpark value of 175 framed arrowheads

I got thes from my now grandfather who got them from his father I believe. So they have been in the family around 100 years. They were serious collectors and had whole walls of arowheads and artifacts so I belive they are the real deal. About 175 in total. I put a nickle next to the big one in one of the photos for size scale. Let me know what you think and thanks in advanced. If anyone is interested in them let me know.

Welcome to arrowheads.com. we don't openly discuss values and prices on the forum. Seems like a shame to sell family heirlooms.. If they were mine I'd keep them but to each their own..
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Welcome to the site Ap.
      Nice group of points and you should consider hanging on to them if they came from your grand and great grandfathers.
      We don't sell, guess or suggest pricing on the forum. If you're intent on doing so trying using one of these two links or attend an artifact show in your area.

Arrowheads.com - Largest Indian Artifact Website on the Internet. You can find Native American arrowheads for sale. Buy and sell Indian relics online.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Columbia River area?
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Nice frame. They must have found a host of damaged or average finds as well, because that look like a frame of the best they found.
          Rhode Island

Comment

There looks like a lot of nice ones in there AP! I’m another that hopes you keep them. They are really priceless in my sort of way.
            Is that a Calf Creek I’m seeing in there?
            South Dakota

Comment

I think so Gary and look at the one above the large one . White .
              You have some really nice pieces Sir it’s nice to look at these .

Comment

• SDhunter
                SDhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I saw it. Looks paleo and pretty awesome

Beautiful pieces you have. Value is what a collector would pay. Take them to a artifact show and see what happens. They look to be from out west.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
                There looks like a lot of nice ones in there AP! I’m another that hopes you keep them. They are really priceless in my sort of way.
                Is that a Calf Creek I’m seeing in there?
                Looks like a NW frame to me also and maybe a basal notched hells canyon they have a calf creek look .

Comment

• SDhunter
                  SDhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Dennis. It did have a calf creek look, but just a little different. Thanks for clarifying

Thanks everybody. I never got the story on where they have been collected. They lived all over including canada, utah, nevada, california and possibly oregon if I recal. I know they traveled to collect as well. They also traded for parts of thier collection. This would account for maybe 1/20th of the collection. Just hard times. So it was just a thought. If not I was planning on keeping them or donating them back. I have a large reservation a few miles away that I was thinking of asking any knowledge of origin and possible gifting back just because we have so many others and other artifacts in the family. Thank you all.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, AP....
                  I ain’t one to tell a man his business, and I know everybody has situational needs, but I’d sell a kidney before I’d part with my collection, and it ain’t nowhere near that nice.

you have some spectacular points there, some that are once in a lifetime type finds. I’d hate to see you get rid of something that truly is irreplaceable.
                  Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Well I say that is a nice frame of artifacts, many made of great colored material. You should take some time to really research the points and find out as much information on them as possible such as: type, age, function etc and enjoy having them since they are beautiful and unique pieces of ancient handiwork, as well as heirlooms. I also believe they likely came from the Columbia river area or in the Oregon/wash./Nevada/calif. state areas based upon the picture. I think you may actually enjoy the research process of learning about the points, like aspects of archaeology, flintknapping, indigenous culture and hunting which would give a new appreciation for the items. If you did that research and still had no desire to keep them than you would much better know how to disperse them or know where best to donate them. Also, you mentioned donating them/gifting them to a tribe? Reservation that is nearby? This is not a bad idea, but only if it is to an culturally affiliated tribe/group, and more importantly that they have an adequate place/resources to best house them appropriately. I wouldn't recommend just gifting them to a random member of the reservation if you want them to serve the community the best. There are instances where some individuals would only want to make a buck off them themselves... (which isn't wrong per se, but just a characteristic of some people in every culture) and you may be disappointed with the outcome of a hastily made gifting. If you do not keep them but don't sell them, ask yourself if you want them to be available for the public, available for science/history, or available for cultural heritage. Be careful of certain large museums or institutions, they will take them and box them away to never be appreciated by the public again, and will contribute nothing to science/history since they are not professional finds and cataloged with provenience (they may not even take them). Good luck in deciding what you do with the collection, I hope that you keep them and make the best out of them and maybe even share them a little more with the public and online community.

Comment

Working...
                    X