Time period??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time period??

Found all of these on a gravel bar in the middle of the Colorado river in Texas. I am curious about the time period of each of these, and name, or classification if any??
    Attached Files

Looks like nice material but I can’t help just to far away. That was a good day
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I wish a good day!! more like a good year.

Comment

I’m going to try to help BigK..Going L to R the point in pic 4 appears to be a Marshall point,mid archaic. That one was easy. In pic 1, I need to see both sides as it may be a paleo point. Pic 2 looks like a Pontchartrain point, mid to trans archaic . Pic 3 is archaic but the base means everything in type.Pic 5 was a point resharpened into a blade. Pic 6 is a preform or a blade.
        All seem to be archaic back 5000 BP .
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

For pic #1

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe that is a paleo piece. Whatever happened at the time of production, it may not be finished. If there is grinding on the left side,flute down prehaps it is a finished point...

• sailorjoe
            sailorjoe commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't believe it is a Paleo piece. I agree it looks like it was not finished. If Paleo there are no telltale indicators other than a lanceolate form but lots of point types from Paleo thru Woodland exhibit that form and can be among the hardest to ID unless one has it in hand. If unfinished which it looks to be then no way to tell what it was going to be for sure. I agree with LM in that they appear to be mid Archaic. My WAG is that little blade is probably from the same time period. But who really knows for sure?

Could number 3 be an Evans point possibly?

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t think it’s Evans, that blade edge could be a spoke shave if it is knapped or reworked in that way...

• sailorjoe
            sailorjoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Not an Evans. I agree with LM It looks like a knife with one edge made into a spoke shave. Kinda like an Archaic multi-tool. A WAG is that because of the small size it could have been used to make foreshafts for atlatl darts.

Thanks for all the input and help on these!

Comment

Some great finds. Im sure there is a camp site somewhere close.

Comment

I’d probably still be on that gravel bar. Nice points!
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
              X