Finished or unfinished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished or unfinished

I found this in a creek outside of La Grange, Tx. It’s about 3 inches long and is flat on one side, but on the other side it has a lump. I was thinking it could be a tool that was made this way intentionally or possibly just an unfinished piece. What do you guys all think?

Hmm. It is worked... I don't know what to say about that one.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Definitely a finished tool. It is some type of hand-held scraper tool. As an experiment, hold it firmly in your right hand with the hump-side in your palm; there should be a flake or two taken off the left margin to allow for a secure thumb rest. It should fit.

Comment

Google Limace Tool. It’s slug shaped tool (domed side, flat side, longish) used for scraping.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• loudog
          loudog commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with Limace and a nice one.

I agree with all above... Except no one mentioned that the material is beautiful.... JJ
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Is the hump on the worked side, that you showed us in the first picture?
          South Dakota

Comment

It looks like a uniface scraper. I usually found them on sites that produced really old points-early Archaic or older.

Comment

It’s worked completely on both sides it’s just one side has that lump on it.

Comment

Looks finished to me I have points with the lump left on it’s called a stack most times they removed them but not always
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Oh, I thought you meant it was unifaced when you said flat on one side. So we didn’t see the hump side from a top view? Surface hunter is probably right. Just a stack they didn’t remove. Maybe they couldn’t remove it without damaging the rest of the tool.
                  South Dakota

Comment

It’s nice material I don’t think I have any with purple in it
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

Sorry about not posting the lump side view, and thanks for all the answers To these post. This forum is extremely helpful.

Comment

Could even be a chipped Celt I have a couple not all are big
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

My guess is exhausted chipped Adze. The hump is usually towards the front end and it’s hafted flat to the top front end of a 7 shaped stick
                          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                            SurfaceHunter commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Good call I forgot about the Adze
                        Working...
                        X