Unidentified point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidentified point

I have a arrowhead I have not been able to identify. It was passed on to me by a family member over 35 years ago. I have no information on where it came from or how long ago it was found or purchased.. I have seen pictures of double points but not with this base. I don’t believe it is a replica because of the source but can’t be sure. Quality is extremely fine. Can anyone help me?

I believe I saw an article in the Ohio Archaeologist years ago about double pointed blades, so a few exist. I have no idea about the base.

Comment

• loudog
      loudog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Bob Converse book describes them as dual-tipped points. scarce, most reports are from the north and eastern Ohio. well chipped examples are usually corner notched and have a fan-shaped base. Base is ground as are the notches.The sides of the blade are also ground. The interior of the notch is also heavily ground and none of the corners (6) are sharp. Less than 50 found in the State.

I’ve never heard of one like that shows hinge fractures on it but that doesn’t say much I’ve found them lik that with hinge on them in creeks
    NW Georgia,

Comment

unique,if legitimate

my only issue thta makes me think its modern is the hangnail flakes.
      they are so clean underneath and that makes them looks fresh.

all the artifacts i have seen with fingernail flakes looked a bit dirty underneath them

but i am by no means an expert
      just a modern flint knapper with a love of artifacts

Comment

I also am not an expert by any means but this piece looks modern to me. The hinge fractures, appears to have never been in soil, double point. That tip may be a strange fracture that just looks worked, hard to tell from the pics, but if it is a double point and pristine condition, that makes me doubt it's ancient. Just my opinion.
        Central Ohio

Comment

It looks modern made to me as well. Where did it come from? It looks like it was made with Knife River Flint
          South Dakota

Comment

• SDhunter
            SDhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, I see you said you don’t know where it came from. Still looks like KRF to me

Thank all of you for your help. I am amazed at the quality of work today’s knappers are capable of, I see it all the time on e-bay! I guess the term “authentic” can mean different things today. I spent hundreds of hours searching the bottom lands of the Buffalo river on private land before it became a national park. I have a pretty good sized collection of points from that area of NW Arkansas where we still live. I also have quite a few points that were handed down from a grandfather and great grandfather who both lived in Minnesota. I will be looking for more help from all of you in the future. Thanks again.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            We would very much like to see your collection ,or parts you’d like to display....Welcome to the site ! JJ

Hey Kaagee, Welcome to the Arrowheads.com forum. I will be looking forward to seeing more of your collection. I think Gary (SDhunter) mentioned a good clue. Do you have any more of that lithic material?
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
          X