Amazing drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing drill

Was wondering if anyone has found anything like this? Unifaced beveled on both sides opposite direction and corner knotched was found in Warren county KY

That's unique ..Nice find...and welcome from Connecticut
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Two beveled biface blade. JJ
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That’s a really nice findπŸ‘πŸ‘
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

That is a very nice Cobb's knife. Early archaic unnotched lostlake, dovetail, Thebes blade. Some would say preform but I say unnotched. It wouldn't be heavily beveled and resharpened as a preform. Nice

Comment

• Wren Redwine
            Wren Redwine commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok thank you for your input greatly appreciated

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Better discrimination than I could of given but yes on the Cobb knife.

I don't believe that to be a drill. I tend to agree with Pkurt about the Cobbs knife. It looks like it has gone thru many sharpenings.

Comment

Some great information here for learning and a great find .
            what I keep finding is points/blades can be resharpened to the point of making an ID gets tricky .
            What could be a type then resharpened and beveled to keep it in use becomes in question in trying to ID it .
            We modern people may just be finding some new variants or lucky to find what someone back then held on to .

Comment

• sailorjoe
              sailorjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Tam, From my experience there are some points that one may not be able to ID. In my former collection I had 1285 whole, unbroken points representing about 90 different types. Actually, there were 976 that I could assign a type name with confidence.The other 300 more or less, I could not ID. The reasons being, I think: (1) there are some point styles that have never been given a name by the folks that name points, (2) some point types are so similar that unless you have a good example of the type then you can't decide between one of several choices and (3) when the people were making them, they quit working before it was "perfect" and decided, "oh what the heck, this is could enough to get the job done" I think that may be the case for many points that were used as knives.

Nice to see one. We don’t get them here very often
            South Dakota

Comment

That could be one for our information center, if the type is agreed upon
              South Dakota

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it's a Cobb's without doubt. And would be a good addition.

Hi Wren, beautiful Cobb's blade you've found! Looks like it's likely made from Harrodsburg chert to me. I think it would be a great addition to our info center like Gary mentions however the photos are slightly out of focus and not well lit to show flaking. If you are interested in allowing me to place it in our info center, I suggest a few pictures in clear focus outside in indirect lighting to help show the material and flaking better. Of course this suggestion is only if you would like it to be in the info center so completely your choice. Thanks!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Wren Redwine
                Wren Redwine commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome sure πŸ‘

Wren that is a great item congrats . what's the material?
              New Jersey

Comment

I don't think that's a drill.

That is obviously something a woman would use to murder her husband in his sleep.

I bet it's haunted too!

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This made me laugh.

A lot.πŸ‘
              Working...
              X