• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Type

Click image for larger version

Name:	F8F741BD-ECAC-4ECF-A3C2-8DBE232ADE46.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	348102 This is a small point I found last Saturday on a gravel bar I found it in Bartow county Georgia. I’d like to see if anyone knows the type. I have found others from all periods over the years and have seen some found older all the way to Paleo. Thanks for your help. SH
    NW Georgia,

One pic at a time looks like guess none now will try later again
    NW Georgia,

Comment

It looks Suwannee-ish to me with work and auricles.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        What age is that Tom? Cant load any pics at this time

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        9000 BC.... SailorJoe is right.....is the base and waist ground?? I have a Suwannee like it that I believe was transitional from Clovis to Suwannee that looks like that..due to the basal fluting/thinning work/attempts. Bases and the waist area are ground with Suwannee.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Most of the good quality flint points I find have been loved to death and can be hard to identify sometimes thanks for your opinion Tom

I have no idea ! It has paleo form.
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the point types that has been found in my area is Beaver Lake in the discussion of them it doesn’t say they are always ground and I have seen a lot found might be but also Copena is another factor, thanks I like it to

Click image for larger version

Name:	E899BE7A-824A-4A99-B5A8-E43EB2D8ACC4.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	348115
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Got lucky another pic. My internet isn’t the best I don’t think
      NW Georgia,

Comment

It does look like a Suwannee without the concave base and auricles. But since those are two of the main characteristics of that type, it isn't logical that it is a Suwannee. Bartow County is a bit north of where they are usually found but that fact is not a game changer necessarily. I found points in areas where the point guides say they are not found. Tell us if the lower edge of each side and the base is heavily ground. If not, that would pretty well tell us that it is not a Paleo era point. Lanceolate shaped points are often among the very hardest types to ID. Some are easy, others can be really tough. It looks very similar to Greenville or Copena triangular. Those are Woodland types and are known from your area.
        Last edited by sailorjoe; 02-04-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Doesn’t appear to be ground to me but I have only 1 example to go by and it’s a Big Sandy which displays heavy grounding that I have found. I will take it to the next show later this month and see what they say. Thanks I will let you know
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Most finders in my area are like me they think it might be older but don’t know. We send each other pics of finds from every hunt but really don’t have a clue. Just enjoy the finding
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• redrocks
              redrocks commented
              Editing a comment
              Didn't I tell ya when I first saw it ..and you said triangle....I said I saw weak shoulders? That's a good one man

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes you did Red I hadn’t even really looked at it until you said something. I like triangles but was drooling over the Adena I had found. I didn’t even notice it was special so thank you for saying something

It sure is a beautiful point congratulations SurfaceHunter. If I were to have found it in WNC my first thought would be a Nolichucky or a Pigeon. Yea those are probably out of your range but there is one thing I'm sure of it's a beauty!
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Thank you on the comments it’s the flaking on the one side that throws me off on the type. I have a pickwick that shows the same scattered on one side and parallel on the other so I would guess it’s at least Archaic period but I find some pieces in that area that nobody can identify as a type this might be one of those.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

I'm kinda liking the Beaver Lake suggestion...... 7500 BC but base should still be ground.... Suwannee are generally much larger and have well formed auricles...but jeez that one has one real nice auricle imhop and one funky one lolol. Find us some more of 'em.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear ya Tom and think you are in the right direction
                  Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 02-12-2019, 09:43 PM.

Congrats on that KILLER sweeeet
                New Jersey

Comment

Thanks I hope the rest of the year stays just like that, finding killers
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

All I am going to add is you really are on a roll there . I think you got your answers , congrats

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                      SurfaceHunter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks all that rain slowed me down I ask Permisson all the time for new property. I just got turned down on a new place so I went to another today.
                  Working...
                  X