Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to this forum and collecting. Have a few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this forum and collecting. Have a few questions...

Hello everyone. I am new here, and to collecting in general. I am looking for a little advice from those of you that have been at this for a while.

I would like to start a small collection of points from my local area. Ideally, I'd love to be able to find them myself, but am not sure where to begin. I live in Oregon, close to the middle Columbia river. I have read the laws regarding collecting in my state, and it appears that the only way to legally collect them is on private property with written permission? Since I don't know anyone that I can ask about collecting on their land, I thought maybe I would look to buy a few online.

I have found a couple of sellers on ebay that seem to have some nice points from my area. But after reading different threads on this board, it appears there are a lot of fake artifacts out there. I have begun learning about the different types of points and materials that would have been used in this area, but still don't feel that I would be able to tell a genuine artifact from a fake.

If anyone has any advice for me on how to get started I would really appreciate it. Are there some legit online sellers that you could recommend who would have points from my area? Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome in here! I'm about as far as you can get from your area lol but there are peeples here from over yonder. If you search this site for Oregon, Columbia and/or Gem you might hit some great threads here. holedigger? purplesage?? woi
    Last edited by tomclark; 02-05-2019, 01:24 PM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

I cannot remember the laws of waterways there . Look that up . Someone just found a beautiful large blade in a stream there .

Comment

Hi and welcome!

It takes a lot of time and trial and error and then the best stll make mistakes. Read and go to museums and look at artifacts to educate yourself. Then buy what you can touch. Go to local estate sales and antique stores. There are reputable sellers on line but I don’t get the same thrill as finding something local.

Good luck!

Von

Comment

Check to see if there are any artifact shows coming to your area or close you can usually pick some up there
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Just looked at the laws in your state..man they are very strict. Stupid in my opinion.
            Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Try joining this http://www.oregonarchaeological.org/ Go to meetings and lectures and meet other like minded folks. Also look and see if your county or city has a historical society join it. Ask about collectors in the area and contact info. Other people to ask could be middle school and high school history teachers, local librarian, your neighbors, people at church. If you dont talk to neibors then start doing it. If you dont go to church find one and go you will be surprised at how friendly people can be at church. Talk to farmers. after all they are the ones with the porivate land. If you are not sure what to say? Go to the farm market and make a purchse. While buying say something like " Hey my grand dad had a farm or uncle Joe or any other little white lie. Say something like " you know I used to summer out at Uncle Joe's place and help out and when time allowed I would find arrowheads at his place. Then just ask " Have you ever found any at your place? You already broke the ice by buying something and helping him support his family. You might be surprised at how friendly people can be when you actually reach out and break the ice. Be confident, walk tall, Smile a lot. Promise not to damage crops. promise to carry out littler offer to help out around the farm. There are many ways to get to know people and gain acceptance. It does not matter if you are tattooed to the knuckles with huge guages most people see right through that to the actual person. Most of us loo for the good in people before we look for the bad. Oh and when meeting a farmer squeeze his hand when shaking it. Dont shake hands like you hand is a fish tail. This goes for ladies too. Look them in the eye smile and give a hardy hand shake. It is a shame a lot of folks have no idea how to actually meet other people. I moved to my house a year agho. It was an 80 mile move. I am originally from Connecticut. Lived in TN for 7 years. Last year I bought a house and moved out of my exs house. I knew no one here. Now I have dozens of friends. I have attened Historical society metting gone to arrowhead shows. Met and talked with farmers. Gained acceptance with my next door neighbors. All you have to do is try and meet people and you will meet them. It aint hard.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                Broken Arrow commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, this, all of this! Several of these techniques have worked for me.

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                Don’t forget to close the gate,
                Stay out of the beans,
                Don’t mess with the bull
                He can get pretty mean.....

Thank you all for your replies. Everyone has given great advice.

Broken Arrow: Yes, I thought that the laws for my state looked pretty strict as well- compared to some others.

Surface Hunter: I would love to go to a show, but it doesn't appear there are many around my area? I will keep looking into this.

Hoss: Thanks for all the great recommendations in your post. I really need to take your words to heart. Meeting new people is somewhat of a challenge for me. I am pretty shy for the most part, and a bit of an introvert. You made some good points about how to meet farmers in the area and I will keep this in mind.

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                you are very welcome. Because you mentioned shyness hindering your ability to meet new people I looked for some life hacks for you. https://www.lifehack.org/articles/co...t-friends.html

Many people are shy . There are ways to overcome it. Some words I live by. I will be the best version of myself rather than a carbon copy of someone else. I live by it. Another good thing to live by is "As long is I know I am living life with integrity it matters not what others think." Do the right thing even if no one is looking!
                I wish you all the best in the hunt.
                Last edited by Hoss; 02-06-2019, 04:55 PM.

Try getting to know your state legislators and start a campaign to make the laws more reasonable. Email and call them once a month and be friendly. States collect millions of artifacts, thousands of the same kind, mostly just take a few measurements and then put them in boxes on a shelf never to be seen again except by a few, then often stolen or lost. Then state museums display less than one percent to the public while we pay for the storage of the rest. People like those on this forum often take better care, share more often, and appreciate more, these amazing items. Hopefully the lawmakers will at least have a conversation about surface hunting in navigable water ways. Give it a try. Remember they work for you. I believe some areas need serious protecting though if they are already on state property.
              New Jersey

Comment

Working...
              X