Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a saw?

Have not seen such large serrations.

Looks like the base is broke off, it it is it was most likely a knife. Like any knife they used for what ever they needed to.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Thanks yes, base is broken.

Comment

It looks very much like it could be the distal end of a Kirk Stemmed/Serrated. They are early Archaic points found over much of the eastern USA.

Comment

I've seen the term "saw" in academic books on prehistoric tools and serations are pretty much the diagnostic characteristic so it may be a saw, part of a saw, or part of a large blade for multipurpose use or a projectile, sorry if that makes you more confused lol just my humble opinion 🙄😂
          New Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by willjo View Post
            Looks like the base is broke off, it it is it was most likely a knife. Like any knife they used for what ever they needed to.
            willjo, hit it on the head IMO. the curve of the blade and the lack of serrations. to me indicate use and resharpening in the haft. Once the base broke it was most likely discarded. I have seen points that have fine serrations or in the case of your artifact more pronounced serrations. as to the use of the knife form is like willjo said it was whatever task was at hand. My guess and may not have credibility is it was used in the butchering process. the blood would have loosened the sienu and use of the haft would have acted as a fulcrum to snap the base.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
            X