reshaping arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reshaping arrowheads

I have a relative that has found hundreds of beautiful arrowheads and a few hatchets through the years and he has refined all of them by sanding them and reshaping them. Is he losing all the value of them by doing this?
    I told him I thought they should be kept in original condition just like a piece of antique furniture but he doesn't believe me. He thinks he can get more money out of them the better they look.
    What do you say?

The only way he'll get more money for them is by selling them to someone who doesn't know any better. By altering them, in any way, they are losing value. Tell him to leave them alone and enjoy them the way they are found!

Comment

absolutely wrong and reduces value to rechip, sand, grind to "repair" a point.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Not only does that reduce value, it destroys the value. A broken point is worth little but a sanded rechip is worth nothing in my book.

Comment

Ohio field hunter and Tom Clark, thanks for your reply on my friend doing this to all of his arrowheads. I kind of thought he was ruining them by doing this but he is an older guy and he just thinks they look better. They look Perfect, TOO perfect.

Comment

Oh man!  Not only does that destroy the age context, it can take off valuable information for the future.  There are surface testing methods being used now that can obtain trace amounts of blood and other material that can help age the artifact and determine what it was used for.  Most collectors (that pay big money for authentic artifacts) will think something is up on a 10,000 year old artifact that has no surface stains of any kind.  Pretty tough to argue its age with no signs of it.

Comment

No, never, ever do what he is doing. It destroys the value.

Comment

If he were my friend I would have to seriously consider taking the nearest hammerstone in his collection nad give him the "noodle knocker" thump on the preverbial skull. Hopefully after the blow he'll come to his senses! If you knock him out long enough take what he hasn't destroyed and save history!
                  Just kidding though Steve don't thump your friend with a rock. But tell him he is deeming anything he alters absolutely useless, that is for sure. Happy Holiday's Bill

Comment

Working...
                X