Pottery and Bird points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery and Bird points

Just wondering if anyone has any input on why i would find so many bird points (assuming that is the name for the super small points) and pottery in a small area of a corn field, The stuff in the pictures came from about 2 acre area of a 100 acre field in Missouri, other areas of the field produce larger points of all different styles and no small ones but this one area is all small ones and pottery. just trying to figure out if they made a bunch of them and stored them in pots or maybe practiced shooting them at the pots ??? Maybe a camp area ??? Thanks in advance for any input

Looks like cord marked pottery. That type here would be Woodland in this part of Georgia. I’m not sure what it is in your state. I have a site where I find pottery and small points in a late Woodland to Mississippian. But just down the hill where it’s a lower plain I find Adena so it could be a different campsite like the fields I walk even though it’s not that far away. A good living and hunting area many generations liked to live. Are the other points you find the same time frame or different?
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• brahmabull
      brahmabull commented
      Editing a comment
      all different time frames on the other larger points, along a river so probably hunting grounds for many centuries

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s interesting cause the Adena is along a deep creek and by a natural spring I find they must of liked the water

That's a bunch of birdies! Several different types there so is say it was probably a campsite. Looks like late woodland-early mississipian. Are you in SE Missouri?
    Last edited by Broken Arrow; 02-17-2019, 11:52 PM.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• brahmabull
      brahmabull commented
      Editing a comment
      just a little west of St Louis

If you are in SE Missouri, here is a good paper.
    culture–historical units and the archaeological record of southeastern Missouri, 500 B.C.–A.D. 700. http://cladistics.coas.missouri.edu/...WoodlandSE.pdf
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• brahmabull
      brahmabull commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, interesting info

These guys have called it. Very nice being able to find a camp with that concentration of artifacts.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Daaaaaang! Sorry, I am no help, but that is awesome!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Looks to me like overlaps but mainly was a great hunting spot for specific species of animals. Kill Zone. So many whole ones and tips damaged. Awesome finds and site!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Count your blessings ! Keep being the Bull ! JJ
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

You must have a pretty good site, or I guess I should say multiple sites. Nice collection you showed us
            South Dakota

Comment

Thanks for the replies and compliments on the collection, very fortunate to have a place to find all of these.

Comment

Nice finds I also hunt a small camp of a couple acres that has produced thousands of points . Happy Hunting

Comment

Love the cahokia points! I'm in east central Illinois and have been to the cahokia museum several times. Still hope to find one over this way.

Comment

Wondering if there is a steep hill near where you are finding all the small points. The different tribes were known for using a tactic in hunting of running herds of buffalo and other animals I presume over hillsides or small drops in the land knowing they would wipe each other out, fall or get injured then have those with bows and or atl atls even I presume at the bottom of the hill or fall off to shoot them as they came over. Might explain the multitude that you have found. Thanks for sharing, awesome collection _ Bill

Comment

• brahmabull
                      brahmabull commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have seen areas like you describe and find larger points there, but the area where these bird points and pottery are found is flat corn/soybean field, about 1000 yards away is a steep bluff on other side of the river.
                      What a scene it would be to see as the buffalo or deer would be coming over a hill to be ambushed
                      One of my other thoughts may be they used these little points to shoot at rodents in their crops and camp area.
                      What throws me off is all the different styles in one small location, possibly they were collected a long time ago by Native American and stored in the pots ?
                  Working...
                  X