Bennett's Premier auctions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennett's Premier auctions?

Hello again everybody. I am back with a couple of questions.

I spoke with someone very knowledgeable about artifacts from my area last week, and he told me that it is illegal to collect any arrowheads in my state (Oregon), even on private property. So at this point, I guess it is back to the drawing board as to how I could start a collection.

I have decided that I would like to buy some things online. But with all of the reproductions out there I am hoping some of you could recommend some honest sellers?

I was also looking at Bennett's Premier Auctions. He has some nice stuff from my area on Proxi Bid. I would assume it is safe to buy from his auctions since he is well know to be an honest authenticator?

Yes I know about Oregon law, I also know people still hunting artifacts there too..I won’t give you advice either way. It’s a tough situation for you,and some day we may all land in your boat.... JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I think this is a second reply from me but, somone foundxa nice piece in a waterway / creek river waterways .
      look up the laws for that . Tom lives in Fl and it’s illegal in so many spots but he just posted river finds .
      My gosh if it’s your backyard it’s your property . But laws are laws . Like said before people do collect there.
      I am going to utube it right now and you should to .

Comment

I would question whoever told you that it was completely illegal. I looked at the laws that are on the books in your state and they are pretty restrictive but collecting on private property with written permission was still regarded as legal according to what I read. Regardless of what he told you, the laws were pretty clear. I would just read the laws carefully and make sure to follow them. Maybe contact a lawyer and get their take on it.
        Last edited by Broken Arrow; 02-18-2019, 10:26 PM.
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

We have honest sellers on this site. Go to the stores link on the main page.
          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Here is a link to the Oregon archaeological Society explaining laws on collecting. BA is spot on.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Looks like if you have written permission from a landowner, you can surface hunt their private land without using any tools? No digging. Is that the way it looks to others?
              I don’t want to give bad legal advice.
              South Dakota

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                Broken Arrow commented
                Editing a comment
                That's the way I interpreted it.

The person who told me this is an archaeologist and has been collecting for 50 + years, so I just assumed he knew what he was talking about.

I was hoping someone might still give their opinion on the Bennett auctions? Generally a safe place to buy from?

Broken Arrow: Thanks for recommending this site for sellers. I didn't realize there was a section for that. I will go take a look!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                Broken Arrow commented
                Editing a comment
                You're welcome, Frank. I don't know anything about Bennett auctions. I would just make sure that whoever you buy from has a good return policy and always get a second opinion.
                There is a possibility that the fella you talked to was just trying to snow you. The relationship between archaeologists and collectors isn't always the best. Some of those guys despise collectors.

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
              Looks like if you have written permission from a landowner, you can surface hunt their private land without using any tools? No digging. Is that the way it looks to others?
              I don’t want to give bad legal advice.
              Thats kind of the way I read that.
              As far as Bennett actions I dont know enough about him to say one way or another. But if the auction house has a return policy then you can have them authenticated as real. But as far as a COA from the auction house I would get a second opinion There is no regulation on who can become a authenticator. thats my 2 cents worth.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I just went to their site and looked at Florida pieces in the auction coming up. Most, maybe all are from one collector. I would internet picture authenticate any of the pieces as ancient, authentic, FL. I may have to put my credit card in for a scraper or two....15% auction fees, plus shipping......you are at that through eBay and Paypal fees lolol. I think just like eBay if you are going to buy then know exactly how much you are willing to pay for a piece, then snipe it at the very last second with that price. If you lose just move on.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Bennett is highly respected in the collecting community and I believe the bulk of what goes through their auction site is legit. That being said I would also be willing to guess some items fall through the cracks.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

FrankieB, Greg is correct, Dr. James Bennett is highly respected in the collecting community and also authenticates artifacts. Indian Artifacts are his life, especially Ohio Valley artifacts. I have known Jim and attended many of his auctions, and have never had a bad experience nor heard of anyone else having one. There is a return policy on anything you buy, he backs up all lots. Great guy and has some great auctions as well. Though his focus is mostly Midwest artifacts, he has had some awesome Northwest collections come up for auctions as well. Also as Broken Arrow pointed out there are great legit artifacts in the sites stores. I have done business with Roy Autry and John Lutz both and have purchased some great artifacts at great prices. Hope this helps, and best of luck in your collecting future, it is a great hobby. _Bill

Comment

As others have stated, Bennett is one of the good guys and you can feel at ease where his auctions are concerned. With many other auction houses, all sales are final, his return policy reflects his commitment to selling genuine artifacts.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

I can't believe that Oregon can ban collecting from private land. If it's your land, or if you have permission from the landowner..........

Comment

• gregszybala
                          gregszybala commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They don't, there are a couple of links above that explain Oregon laws.

Bennett is great. I have never had an issue with any of his auctions. I haven't had to take advantage of his guarantee, but I know someone who thought a piece had some rechipping and they stood behind it.

Hunting in Oregon and much of the West... The main issue is land ownership. In the Eastern US most of the land is privately held, or it's parks where none of us would think about hunting. In some of the Western states most of the agricultural or ranch land is actually held in leases, but it's still owned by the government. Hunting arrowheads there, even if your family has been involved with that land for generations, is still a no-no.

This map shows it. Red areas are off limits to surface collecting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	353220
                        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
                        X