What Is It????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is It????

I picked this up in a on line auction and the seller was close by so I went and picked it up. Once I got it in hand and under my loop it definitely made me comfortable once I got to look at the mineral deposits. It has a little grinding around the base and is a very thick point. Some help at identifying would be greatly appreciated . It came from Preble Co. Ohio.

Maybe a Hi-LO point? What's the length?

Comment

Originally posted by loudog View Post
      Maybe a Hi-LO point? What's the length?
      It’s 3 3/4 inches and 1 3/4 width and 3/4 at its thickest.

Comment

Hi-Lo are usually 2 1/2 inches and under.

Comment

Looks thick and looks like coastal plains chert. Is that the material? The ears look a little funky to me. Does the mineral deposits show at the base or only on the sides?
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
            Looks thick and looks like coastal plains chert. Is that the material? The ears look a little funky to me. Does the mineral deposits show at the base or only on the sides?
            It has mineral deposits around the base as well, and there’s a ding at one side of the base that shows a different in color as well. I thought the material might be Fort Payne Chert.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Could be Fort Payne maybe a preform or a rework from a broken knife tip but I’m not sure it was ever finished just to thick

Ain't no Hi Lo, Having my doubts on this.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It’s too thick to be a point. From the preview pictures I was thinking a flint celt that had massive ding that created the base, but it’s obviously made that way.

9/10 pieces like that are fake, someone who couldn’t knap well tried to make the outline of a paleo point but you say it has patina, so maybe some odd ball tool. I don’t think it’s paleo.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

That may be a strain of Plum Run material, I would imagine some of it could have got down that way by transport or trade. Lithic material is in NE Ohio, Alliance, Ohio to be exact. But agree with the panel, this piece is to thick to be a point, and the flaking patterns are incorrect for paleo as well. It also looks as though they hammered the B-jesus out of something on the one edge repeatedly. Have to agree with Clovisoid, everything about that point states flint celt to me in overall make up and dimension, just can't understand the base. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance _Bill

Comment

Working...
                X