Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To remove writing on Arrowheads or leave it alone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To remove writing on Arrowheads or leave it alone.

Hi Guys, I have purchased a few Points for my collection over the years and of course along the way someone wrote on them with an ink pen of some sort. I would like to clean it off but I dont want to screw up the point. I have been trying to research and it seems like Acetone my be the way to go. Several people commented that it would not effect patina or deposits of ferric oxide that may be on the point. Any experience pro or con you can share? The points in question are flint..

I think as long as the material is not chalky or porous then acetone may be best. In my opinion and experience, acetone will not effect patina. Plus you are dabbing lightly not soaking it. I wonder if bleach solution would work? Let's see your attempts, please!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

I took some ink of a point with a Tide Pen but it was a good quality chert not porous
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

It would seem to identify the artifact it would not effect the flint.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Some marks are best left on if from some collectors, but it’s a personal choice.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I know alcohol removes sharpie sometimes.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

If the writing is location or provenance it should be left on in my opinion. If the artifact is from an old collection or a well known collector, and the mark of that person is on there it should also be left on. Example: Dr. Mueser was a famed collector in Ohio, and there is nearly a 5X to 10X price difference on an artifact from his collection marked by him. Lar Hothem is another example, where a common point or scraper marked by him as one of his finds increases the value. To me though it is strictly a personal preference, I like to mark provenance on mine, county and state at least. If you search "Cataloging Indian Artifacts" on google there is a paper from Dr. Robert N. Converse discussing this issue. As far as cleaning the ink off everyone I have ever heard of recommends nail polish remover (aka acetone), this also includes Converse in his article for Ohio Archaeologist Magazine. hope it helps you a little _ Bill

Comment

Thank you guys I appreciate the feed back.

Comment

Working...
                X